Option to hide #--TRANSCODE--# folder

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Option to hide #--TRANSCODE--# folder

Postby moshjahan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Please add option to hide the #--TRANSCODE--# folder from the XMB.

Keep up the great work, this software is truly awesome and kicks TVersity back to the dark ages.
moshjahan

Re: Option to hide #--TRANSCODE--# folder

Postby shagrath » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm

you just have to disable the 4 video transcoding engines (plug icon on the bottom) and restart
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby moshjahan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:31 pm

If I do that I no longer see MKVs listed in the XMB?
moshjahan

Postby shagrath » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:47 pm

yes, you're right, but if you plan to transcode some mkvs, I don't see the benefit to mask it
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby moshjahan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:14 pm

Are you saying that the PS3 needs to have entry in the XMB in order to playback transcoded material?
moshjahan

Postby shagrath » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:18 am

no, but it's safer (ability to choose proper language when the default choosed one is wrong, ability to choose another transcoding engine if the main one is failing)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby moshjahan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:33 am

Ah okay. Well, if it's possible to have video engines enabled and hide the #--TRANSCODE--# folder in a future release that would be great. Alternatively, another idea might be to rename the folder or place its order at the very bottom. My reason for wanting it out of the way is that it makes the XMB cluttered and 99.9% of the time I don't need to use it. In fact I haven't had to use it at all so far, all my MKVs, M2TS and AVIs play fine.

Another way might be to have a "transcode" folder at root of the media server XMB path and mirror the main folder structure there? Just a thought. For example:

Code: Select all
Media Server
     |
     +----Movies
     |
     +----Movies [Transcoded]

Thanks.
moshjahan

Postby ExSport » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:01 am

NO!
I will not go back 7 levels and again 7 levels up in TRANSCODE folder for file which doesn't played non-transcoded ;)
Same for #TRANSCODE# folder at very bottom. When you will have 70 files in one dir and know that you need to transcode, why scrool few secs to find only one folder?
Why you don't ignore this first folder and don't open eyes from second line? 8-)
ExSport

Postby Alpha_Climatise » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:39 am

I would be interested in the ability as well, at least in the areas where it doesn't apply to my media. Possibly have a switch in the conf that can bee added to folder paths as an opt out option.

I have my media sorted into SD and HD locations. Transcoding options in folders that don't require any transcoding just confuses the situation. While ExSport may have a point in that you can just ignore it, I would like to see the option exist as not to confuse my end users. Not all users of the end result are going to be tech savvy, and simple and slick is the best offering for the average user.

Often, if you are like me, you have already done a lot of post work on your media to ensure a lot of configuration isn't needed. I have over 600 items in my SD media area, every one encoded with the same codec, which required a single transcode with some software and never needs to be done again. Sometimes I also pass HD content through similar methods so that a simple click and go is all that is needed, and turning on options is the exception.

A lot of waffle there really, but basically I'd agree to an option to have it apply only to folders you wish it to be in. Not sure how you would achive this if you were running the media library option, but I'm sure there is a clever solution somewhere.
Alpha_Climatise

Postby ExSport » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:47 am

I have no problems with option to hide this folder but not in example as moshjahan suggested 8-)
ExSport

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions