Selecting Language and Subtitles from XMB

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Selecting Language and Subtitles from XMB

Postby vex » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:16 pm

I have a number of files that have multiple languages and subtitles contained within them (ie m4v, mp4, mkv, etc). When I hook up an external hard drive directly to the PS3 to watch them I am able to select the language and subtitles during playback via the triangle button. I would like to have the same sort of ability while using the PSM to host the files. For example I would like to dictate the default playback setting within PMS of JAP/ENG. But during the course of playback I would like to alter that so that I may choose ENG/OFF or some other combination on the fly without losing my position on the video or having to navigate to a transcode folder.
vex

Re: Selecting Language and Subtitles from XMB

Postby taconaut » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:20 pm

It is not possible to use the triangle button to select the language. But the ## Transcode ## folder is there for that. It will show all possible permutations for audio language - subtitle language - transcoding engine; play the video with the properties you want and you should be fine.
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby vex » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 pm

I had a feeling you were going to tell me that. Oh well. Thank you for the quick response. Out of curiosity is it a DLNA limitation? Or is it a local command that isn't able to be sent/broadcast to the server?
vex

Postby taconaut » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:14 pm

I'm not sure if it is a DLNA or ps3 limitation; going to let someone who knows DLNA better than me answer this one ;)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:39 pm

AFAICT it's a renderer (PS3) limitation. The PS3 supports soft subs for DivX AVIs with embedded XSubs during DLNA streaming, but other formats require transcoding to hardcode the subs. It looks like some TVs support MKVs with embedded subs according to various reports on this forum.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby vex » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:46 am

So I was messing around with what the server encodes and doesn't encode and found out something rather interesting: if I leave m4v without being encoded by any of the engines I'm able to dynamically change the audio via the tringle button, but not for subtitles. I suppose if I mess with the files and their subtitle designation I might get what I want? What sayest thou?
vex

Return to Feature Suggestions