Transcoded Material

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Transcoded Material

Postby Banned_User » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:49 am

I have a few .mvk files that I have no way to play on the PS3 other than with your amazing software.

I would love to see a way for: an exact 100% copy of what I see broadcasted to my PS3, saved on my computer. (So essentially a way to save a copy to PC harddrive)

YOUR SOFTWARE! is the only software that can convert the video with LOSELESS quality and have the PS3 understand it. Ive tried TSremux, Gotsent, NONE work. Your software does it flawelessly.

Please add support to save a transcoded copy to my PC harddrive.

PLLLEASEEE
Banned_User

Re: Transcoded Material

Postby Topguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Have you tried "mkv2vob" ? It does quite much of the same job as PSM does while remuxing.

When you do a transcode with mencoder (for subtitles for example) the resulting file can be many times larger than the original, that is also something to consider.
Topguy

Postby Banned_User » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Ive tried using that too. I've tried everything. All methods I end up with one of the two results:

I either get perfect picture, no audio.

or

I get perfect audio, picture end up being 480p with a giant green bar at the bottom

I dont like VOB, its DVD format. I looked at the quality and theres noticeable quality difference. Another thing I saw DVD(VOB)= 7Mbps, PS3MS= 25+ Mbps

PS. I am not banned

ADMIN please take my post into consideration.
Banned_User

Postby Topguy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Banned_User wrote:I dont like VOB, its DVD format. I looked at the quality and theres noticeable quality difference. Another thing I saw DVD(VOB)= 7Mbps, PS3MS= 25+ Mbps

VOB is just an mpeg2 container, mkv2vob can keep the original x264 encoded video intact unless you mess with subtitles, that will give you low bitrate and exact same quality as original mkv-file. (this is why the program was created in the first place)

The reason PMS end up at 25+ Mbps is beacuse its converting x264 to mpeg2 with high bitrate so it takes little CPU and have good quality (but its still not lossless). You should be able to do the same by tweaking the mkv2vob transcoding-paramerters, but I have never needed to do it.
Topguy

Postby Banned_User » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:32 pm

not saying your wrong but:

Banned_User

Postby Topguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Banned_User wrote:not saying your wrong but:

Your chart doesnt really tell anything about BD movies ripped into MKV's.

A 90-120 minute movie compressed into 4-8Gb is going to have a bitrate of aprox 5-12mbps, that is just plain math.

Example:
4.7GB equals 38Gb (Giga BIT) equals 38000 Mb
100 minutes of movie equals 6000 seconds of movie.
38000 Mb / 6000 s = 6,33 Mb/s (this is of course combined bitrate of audio and video stream, but I ignore audio in this discussion)

It doesnt matter if the file is mpeg2 og mpeg4 (x264) the bitrate of the file is the same. The difference is in quality of compression, mpeg2 at that bitrate gives a crap HD-picture, that is why PMS uses a much higher bitrate when it transcodes to mpeg2 for streaming.

The math works both ways, so if you want to save a transcoded file at 25 Mb/s the resulting file will be 4 times bigger than the original file, around 20GB.
Topguy

Return to Feature Suggestions