Subdirectory support for alternative cover art

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Subdirectory support for alternative cover art

Postby calebc2099 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm

I have many different renderers - PS3, Toshiba Television, XBMC, AcePlayer, WDTV, etc. Each renderer displays the contents of a folder differently. Here's an example of a typical folder structure with files:

|-Television_Series_1
| Episode_01.mp4
| Episode_01.jpg
| Episode_02.mp4
| Episode_02.jpg
|
|-Television_Series_2
| Episode_01.mp4
| Episode_01.jpg
| Episode_02.mp4
| Episode_02.jpg

On the PS3, the JPG files are used as thumbnails for the video files
On the Toshiba Television, the JPG files are not displayed nor are they used for thumbnails
On XBMC, AcePlayer & WDTV, the JPG files are displayed as files and not used as thumbnails (also slightly confusing because the renderer shows two files with the same name and you have to guess which one is the video).

I've already tried specifying an alternative cover art folder BUT the problem is that if you have multiple video files called "Episode_01" then you can't use the alternative cover art folder because there doesn't seem to be any support for subdirectories within the alternative cover art folder.

A simple solution would be to allow the alternative cover art folder to contain subdirectories which mirror the main video folder structure eg:

VIDEO:
|-Television_Series_1
| Episode_01.mp4
| Episode_02.mp4
|
|-Television_Series_2
| Episode_01.mp4
| Episode_02.mp4
|

ALTERNATIVE_COVER_ART:
|-Television_Series_1
| Episode_01.jpg
| Episode_02.jpg
|
|-Television_Series_2
| Episode_01.jpg
| Episode_02.jpg
|
calebc2099

Re: Subdirectory support for alternative cover art

Postby Dracrius » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 am

I'm not sure how you Toshiba looks for thumbnails if it even does but you should try renaming a thumbnail from jpg to tbn. This is the extension XBMC uses in specific for thumbnails (very specifically movie posters or TV Show screenshot as TV posters are saved as folder.jpg) and I'm requesting (http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15151) that they add support for this file type as it would solve my issue but you may be able to use it to solve your problem as well.
Dracrius

Return to Feature Suggestions