If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Limit folders sent to Samsung TVs with Allshare

Postby rakosnicek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Samsung's Allshare TVs break down DLNA browsing into categories:
video
audio
pictures
... and others ...

When browsing a PMS computer, all folders shared with PMS are seen in each category for Samsung. Is it possible to break that down at all so that I can nominate a folder (or folder tree) as being "video only" and thus only seen when descending through "Video" on a Samsung TV?

The problem this creates for browsing is that you'll end up browsing folders and see no content because the Samsung TV is filtering out filenames. This can be somewhat disconcerting if you forget for a moment what is going on.
rakosnicek

Re: Limit folders sent to Samsung TVs with Allshare

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Unfortunately the base DLNA spec (AFAIK) doesn't contain any method for a DLNA server to know what type of files a DLNA client is looking for.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby gigabass » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:51 pm

+1 for the feature request.

a configuration could be added to the ps3mediaserver to export specific file types on specific folders only.
so it doesn't matter what the client is looking for, the idea could be : if you set up a folder to 'audio' the server only answers audio files to the client.
gigabass

Postby Manuel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 am

Samsung set this up for a reason — I hope so — so there must be a way to limit the content of those areas to the appropriate filetypes. Someone with a Windows box should try the Samsung DLNA server and check if it works with it. If yes I guess the needed DLNA.ORG_FLAGS or whatever is needed could be logged somehow.
Manuel

Postby rakosnicek » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:40 pm

I downloaded and installed the Samsung PC Share manager.

It does nothing special.

The "Video", "Music", etc, selections on the TV are client side filters for recognised MIME types using extensions.

That is, when you choose "Video" on the TV, if you look in a folder with both video (say MKVs) and audio (MP3s), then you don't see the MP3s, only the MKVs. Rinse and repeat for audio, etc.
rakosnicek

Return to Feature Suggestions