Request for MIDI support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Request for MIDI support

Postby Nastycrew » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Polyphony files (.mid)

Kinda strange but i like to listen to em, sadly the ps3 cant handle it, i hope its easy to fix

Cheers
Nastycrew

Re: Request for MIDI support

Postby Carnivac » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:47 am

Yeah, I wish the PS3 could play other tiny filesize music formats too. I've got a big selection of old game music (mostly in tracker MOD formats) I love playing on Winamp via various plugins and it bugs me I have to make into bloaty (relative to their original size) mp3s to play them on PS3. I think your request is more likely than mine though if at all possible.
Carnivac

Postby Jagged » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:21 pm

I believe MIDI is supported by VLC in Linux only. However, VLC does have crossplatform support for MOD/S3M formats. It might be fairly simple to add support for this.

I don't believe that mencoder/ffmpeg support any of these formats.
Jagged

Postby JamminR » Sat May 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Dosbox, an open source dos emulator for various operating systems has a wonderful emulator of the Gravis Ultrasound, a great wave table synthesizer of the 90s.

Though not a java programmer, I believe it shouldn't be overly difficult to write code into PMS that would use some of DOSbox's emulation of midi sequencing, turn it into sound in memory, and rather than play it through soundcard, stream it straight to PMS for PS3. Dosbox also has wav output. Surely that could be done in memory instead of actual file.

Basic logic in my mind
- PMS uses java sequencer to open midi file, read patch and sequence information
- PMS loads the third party patches (mentioned in Ultrasound link above).
If patches aren't found (user who downloaded PMS didn't download the patch set), PMS falls back to loading patches from a general midi DLS included with PMS.
- PMS uses parts of Dosbox code to output the sequence to wav or other sound stream in memory.
- PMS transcodes that stream into format using whatever normal methods it already uses for sound to a format PS3 understands.
- PS3 user plays midi through PS3 music menu.
Friends show GREAT AWE and WONDER at ability to play music they or you sequenced using thier midi instruments.
Guitar Hero Sequencer -- kiss my butt!!
JamminR

Return to Feature Suggestions