Direct External Harddrive Support

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Direct External Harddrive Support

Postby shamus109 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Unless I'm mistaken I would love to see the feature added to play movies directly off of a hard drive that is plugged directly into the PS3. I know you can do this already without this program but if there was a way to play mkv files directly off the hard drive this would be a great feature being that ps3 doesn't support mkv files on it's own. I love that you can now stream them over your network to the ps3 but I'm finding that a lot of the mkv files are so large I get a lot of choppy videos when other people in my house are on the internet sowing down my connection speed as I am forced to used Wifi in my current home setup.

Or as an alternative it would be cool to be able to plug in the Ps3s Ethernet directly to my PC's Ethernet and get a direct hardwired stream from my computer. again not positive if there is already a way to do so.
shamus109

Re: Direct External Harddrive Support

Postby meskibob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:48 pm

The former (play files off HDD plugged into PS3) is not supported.
The latter (direct connection between PS3 and PC) is supported. Check the bottom of this post - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p34933
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Direct External Harddrive Support

Postby hogger129 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:37 pm

You can play files off of an external hard drive plugged into the PS3 if your external hard drive is formatted in FAT32. Windows uses NTFS. Playstation uses FAT32. Playstation won't recognize your drive if it's formatted in NTFS. You need to reformat it for FAT32 if you want to play files from it directly plugged into the PS3.

Another problem you'll run into is that FAT32 will only let you put files that are 4GB or less onto it. It just doesn't support files over 4GB. It works if you're watching files that are below that size limit, but it becomes a pain in the neck --- especially when you want to watch the Blu Ray and HD movie files that have a larger size, and then NTFS & streaming through PS3 MS becomes the better option.
hogger129

Return to Feature Suggestions