Support other Devices

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Support other Devices

Postby jetjock_fl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:27 am

This is a fantastic program that just WORKS!

It works so well that I wished it worked as a common DLNA server to other devices and not just the PS3. I've tried it with my Samsung LNA850 TV but it doesn't work. I'm not sure why it occurs but the TV sees the server but when you click on the video to watch it tries to start but then before any video plays it quits and the TV reports it's unable to play it.

Such a great program, sure wish it worked with my Samsung TV. Samsung came out with their own version of a DLNA server called SAMSUNG PC SHARE Manager. The TV also sees the WMP and Tversity.
jetjock_fl

Re: Support other Devices

Postby Gussi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:56 am

It would be wonderful if PMS worked as well on any device as it does on PS3, but the sad reality is that every device differs vastly from the next one :? The DLNA standard is solid enough for browsing and streaming data to any device, but when it comes to the client to actually view the content it gets a bit funky and non-standardized. PMS pretty much knows exactly what PS3 can play natively and what it can't, and transcodes especially for the PS3 when appropriate. This would be necessary (to some extent) with any other device, the server has to know what data it can send and what to transcode when needed.

I'm not saying it's impossible, there are some semi-universal DLNA servers out there (like tversity), although none of them are perfect. So it's possible, but it would require enterprise-class work on behalf of the developers :|
Gussi

Return to Feature Suggestions