Settings presets!!

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Settings presets!!

Postby Bansaku » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 am

Maybe I am missing something, but I would think that having presets for the settings would be awesome. We all know that sometimes certain files will only play with certain settings. It would be awesome if we could save presets for the specific settings and recall them on the fly. I hate having to write down the settings so I can hopefully remember them. It would make things easier if there was a quick select. 8-)
Bansaku

Re: Settings presets!!

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:42 am

Interesting idea.

You can, as a workaround, save the settings and copy the "PMS.conf" (search the Traces tab for the profile path) to "PMS-settings1.conf" for later reuse.
When you need the settings reinstated, stop PMS, copy the correct settings over "PMS.conf" and start PMS again.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby meskibob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:54 am

Can you give a specific example of when/why you'd be changing settings (e.g. different renderer, different file type, different quality/resolution, etc) and which settings specifically?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby chocolateboy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Raptor399 wrote:You can, as a workaround

There's no need for a workaround. Custom profiles have been supported for some time:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&p=49895#p49895

More fine-grained customization may be possible, but, as meskibob says, it's hard to say without an example/more details.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby bugme » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Would it be possible to have presets for different formats, bitrates or such?
Right now profiles aren't that useful, except if you have to change several settings at once.
I like to get the best out of every video played and always walking to the computer and do the necessary changes is quite annoying.

And I think there are scenarios where this would prove useful.
Something like,
If resolution is 720p and video is PS3 compatible, use tsmuxer, otherwise always reencode. I can play nearly all my 720p movies wireless, but 1080p movies are impossible. But there is no way to tell ps3mediaserver that. If its PS3 compatible, it won't be reencoded even if the bitrate is far over the roof (what is the point of the bitrate limit anyway?).

This could be extended to things like, use tsmuxer if available subtitles are in the same language as the audio, which could prevent a reencode of the whole video, just because some distributor thought it would be wise to translate things that are obvious to someone whos also speaking english anyway.

Or only rescale the video if its above 720p, to stop wasting bandwith if the tv doesn't support 1080p.
Or use a better quality encoding preset if the video is just some xvid 720x400 stuff.
bugme

Return to Feature Suggestions