Allowing/Denying media renderers

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Allowing/Denying media renderers

Postby therenat » Mon May 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi!

I didn't notice this request elsewhere, but it would be nice to have an option to allow/deny media renderers access to my shared files.
My router is part of a bigger network and I can see that I am connected to media boxes of people I don't know. It would be great to be able to block these fools :)

Thanks
therenat

Re: Allowing/Denying media renderers

Postby taconaut » Mon May 02, 2011 6:02 pm

You can use the ip filter in the general configuration tab to do this. Don't know if you can add multiple adresses though!?
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby therenat » Mon May 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Yep, I saw i can add only one. Plus the IP-s of the devices change from time to time.
There is an option in Nero MediaHome to add this kind of security. If a new device is detected, it is blocked by default but you can allow access if u want to.
I find that would be something that would improve ps3ms =)

other than that this software is heaps better than nero imo (Y)
therenat

Postby 3Z3VH » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Many people use whatever firewall software they have to block the ports PMS uses (both incoming AND outgoing) to all machines, then explicitly allow only the media renderers they want to play media to... though, I agree it would be nice to have it directly in the PMS software.
3Z3VH

Return to Feature Suggestions