replace Mencoder with FFmpeg

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

replace Mencoder with FFmpeg

Postby sfievet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi,

i mostly use PMS to stream DVDs from the (region free) DVD drive of my computer to my Bravia W5500 TV.
A couple of months ago, it suddenly became impossible : audio/video out of sync, stuttering, choppy sound made the playback experience all but pleasant. :cry:

I spent a lot of time investigating, trying mplayer/mencoder daily snapshots with no luck. For my purpose, i found that the last functional mencoder version is the official 1.0-rc4.

I recently stumbled upon a couple of messages on mencoder mailing-list where a dev stated that mencoder codebase was considered more or less unmaintained, and that most dev efforts were put on mplayer. Poking around in other threads of the list makes me think it is more or less admitted :? and that using ffmpeg instead is a more reliable choice.

Hence my question : would you consider switching from mencoder to ffmpeg? [Which could hopefully solve my
problems with DVD streaming :D ]

Thanks, Seb.
sfievet

Re: replace Mencoder with FFmpeg

Postby ExSport » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:34 pm

MEncoder includes ffmpeg with many other addons.
FFmpeg doesn't support subtitles and many others features so I suppose using FFmpeg alone is not right way.
ExSport

Re: replace Mencoder with FFmpeg

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm

ExSport wrote:MEncoder includes ffmpeg with many other addons.

FFmpeg != ffmpeg. :-) And, you're right, MEncoder is not going away. There's already an ffmpeg video engine - it's used in conjunction with other tools. Breaking it out into a standalone engine with options comparable to (but simpler than) the MEncoder engine could be done, but I doubt anyone will volunteer.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to Feature Suggestions