Ability to mount / read images of Blueray and DVD

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Ability to mount / read images of Blueray and DVD

Postby alpinemartin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:11 pm

As a newcomer (but curious reader) to this forum, I am wondering if there are ways (or plans) to add the possibility to use the PS3 Media Server to play Blueray and DVD images. I am one of those who don't really like having BDs or DVDs around, but who would strongly prefer to store the media on my NAS and to look up and play the films rather than to scramble to find the disc.

I am currently looking for a good Media Center (Tank), capable of doing what I have described above and at the same time with the possibility of reading Blueray discs. When comparing the quality of the interface (ease of navigation, clarity, etc.) and most importantly the quality of the video play-back, I am quite impressed by the PS3 Media Server, also compared to the Popcorn Hour C-200. The problem is just that I haven't found a way to get the PS3 to read the Blueray and DVD images, regardless of whether they are .iso or in the case of Blueray BDMV images.

There appears to have been quite some dialogue in this forum in 2009 about this and similar dilemmas. Any solutions developed or in the pipeline? :?:
alpinemartin

Re: Ability to mount / read images of Blueray and DVD

Postby Madoka » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:50 am

PMS plays .iso files or even .iso folders just fine.
Madoka

Postby meskibob » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 am

Madoka wrote:PMS plays .iso files or even .iso folders just fine.

...only for DVDs. Bluray ISOs are not supported.
And DVD support only includes title playback, not menus/chapters/etc.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Madoka » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:54 pm

I guess I'm not that picky in that I'm just glad that I could play those .iso's. :D
Madoka

Postby ExSport » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 am

Most recent Mencoder SVN should support Bluray structure or it will in short time...I read is somewhere :)
ExSport

Postby meskibob » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am

ExSport wrote:Most recent Mencoder SVN should support Bluray structure or it will in short time...I read is somewhere :)

NICE :D
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ExSport » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:44 pm

From mplayerhq.hu site:
1.0rc4 once again adds a slew of new binary codecs and leverages all the stuff added to FFmpeg. Notable additions are VP8 decoding, H.264 bug fixes and speedups, unencrypted Blu-ray support. Network streams can now be played through FFmpeg, there has been quite a bit of subtitle work and Ogg and Matroska demuxer defaults were switched to libavformat. The window position is now decided by the window manager.

So when latest ffmpeg svn will be integrated in MEncoder build, we can use it in PMS.
ExSport

Postby alpinemartin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:28 pm

ExSport wrote:From mplayerhq.hu site:
1.0rc4 once again adds a slew of new binary codecs and leverages all the stuff added to FFmpeg. Notable additions are VP8 decoding, H.264 bug fixes and speedups, unencrypted Blu-ray support. Network streams can now be played through FFmpeg, there has been quite a bit of subtitle work and Ogg and Matroska demuxer defaults were switched to libavformat. The window position is now decided by the window manager.

So when latest ffmpeg svn will be integrated in MEncoder build, we can use it in PMS.

Has anyone heard if the latest ffmpeg svn is now integrated in MEncoder build, so that we can now effectively use PMS to view Blueray 3D films saved e.g. on a Network Attached Storage with full BD menus?
alpinemartin

Postby meskibob » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Even if it was integrated, you won't be able to use the BD menus through PMS as the PS3 (and I'm guessing most other DLNA clients) doesn't support DVD/Bluray ISOs.
meskibob

Postby alpinemartin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Strange??!! The way I understood the previous replies / comments to my initial question is that over time and with the new capabilities added to the PS3 Media Server, it would indeed support ripped Bluerays. What are the reasons that the PS3 Media Server would not support Bluerays ripped and saved in a file / directory structure, e.g. BDMV (as far as I know, there is no such thing as a Blueray ISO), given that PS3 itself supports Blueray and flawlessly reads both 2D and 3D Bluerays?
alpinemartin

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions