Automatic Transcode Detection

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Automatic Transcode Detection

Postby 2curious » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:48 am

I have found that with most if not all media servers I have tried, you can decide that certain extensions will, or will not transcode.
This is a great function although very limited.
I find that about 1 in 10 avi files will not play on the PS3.
As a work around I have made all mp4 files always encode and then changed the extension of all the files that won't play to mp4.
This works.

My request is that the media server detect that the PS3 will not play the file because of whatever the reason(I beleive it to be the audio codec in my case but I am just guessing) and automatically encode it.

This feature would surely make PS3 Media Server an A1 product.
2curious

Re: Automatic Transcode Detection

Postby shagrath » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:05 am

well, that's an ultimate goal, but I guess knowing if a particular combination is playable or not is a hard task (nearly impossible to have 100% success)
for example, I got some mp4 with aac audio (that's displayed in XMB) but due to a ps3 bug, there's no sound!
There's no way to automatically know I have to transcode them
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby 2curious » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:48 am

Maybe then think of it the other way around. Maybe an option to say if the avi is in this 'list of video encodings' and this 'list of audio encodings' (somewhat of a safe list) then send to PS3 un-encoding else always encode.

That way when it gets it wrong it will more likely play it safe and encode.

My quirk is mainly that almost 95% of my files are avi. So within those files the current tweaks really have no effect (unless I'm missing something).

The files that do not play actually come up as not supported on the playstation.
2curious

Postby Burrito » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:52 pm

As shagrath said, there is no way to know for sure that the PS3 will play a file 100%. Therefore i would go the other way.

Example:

Check the file for QPEL -> Transcode per default as it will never play
Check the file for GMC -> Transcode, see above.
Check for some custom matrix -> Transcode...

Maybe some muxer types or settings will also conflict with the PS3, maybe these could then be remuxed instead of transcoded!?

Just add rules from experience and feedback that will 100% prevent the PS3 from playing that file and then transcode...if a rule is missing or impossible to implement (like the example from shagrath) then you would have to manually go to the #transcode# folder.
Burrito

Return to Feature Suggestions