PS3 Media Server on NAS (DNS-323) dream or reality

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 Media Server on NAS (DNS-323) dream or reality

Postby stutunaru » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 am

hi everyone,
almost everyday i read new staff about this amazing piece of art called PS3 Media Server which helps a lot to make us more comfortable day by day. as all know this is a software which should be installed on PC, laptop. i was thinking is there any ways that this gorgeous tool could be designed as an application for NAS (DNS-323 as an example) which will make the life more easier as basically this storage contains all video, audio library. am i a dreamer yet or this is something which can be implemented?
thanks for your feedback.
stutunaru

Re: PS3 Media Server on NAS (DNS-323) dream or reality

Postby WorldOfHurt » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 am

There are loads of people doing this now, although I am not one of them.

Try using the search at the top and putting in "NAS", that returns a whole load of different threads on this subject.
WorldOfHurt

Re: PS3 Media Server on NAS (DNS-323) dream or reality

Postby meskibob » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Note that most current NAS's (at least the good ones like Synology) are coming with their own UPnP and media server programs. The only benefit of installing PMS would be for the on-the-fly transcoding, but NAS's (by design) generally don't have the power to successfully handle it.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Getting PS3MS on nas?

Postby Pyroking » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello there.

I find myself not needing my server anymore(gaming/webhosting server) but i still want a playstation3 media server running for my ps3. I looked a many kinds of nas servers which is really great for my storage needs.
But my question is: How do i install ps3ms on a nas? I looked at the D-Link DNS-323 which is great, but how do i get ps3ms on that thing? is it possible at all?

If the D-Link DNS-323 can run linux, then no problem installing ps3ms. If it can, then how do i install linux/ps3ms on it? do you know?

Thanks, hope my topic is on track for "General Help and Support" usage.
Pyroking

Re: Getting PS3MS on nas?

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Re: Getting PS3MS on nas?

Postby Pyroking » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:04 pm

I see, my next question is, will a nas server stream the video to the ps3 as good as ps3ms? will i get errors on mkv files not supported or what can i aspect?
Pyroking

Return to Linux/Unix Support