console mode in linux

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

console mode in linux

Postby nxmehta » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:33 am

I'm running pms on a headless linux server. I downloaded and ran the 1.03 version and it automatically detects that I'm in console mode, which is nice. However, the 1.03 version does not ship with a PMS.conf file- is this a mistake or is the conf file supposed to be generated when running in GUI mode? I can use my old conf file to add paths and change options, but I'm guessing this is not desired behavior. With this configuration a new console user would never be able to set options.

Also- how does pms detect that there is no GUI running? I could run the older versions of pms in GUI mode on my laptop by sshing into the server and tunneling X over to my laptop's X server. Looks like pms does not detect that this is an option. Is there a way to override console detection and force a GUI mode? Similarly, does the 'PMS.sh console' override still work? It might be useful enable these kinds of command line overrides.

Thanks.
nxmehta

Re: console mode in linux

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:56 am

Headless detection is brought by Java (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/GraphicsEnvironment.html#isHeadless())
PMS.sh console is still working though, so it's better to force it I guess
About the PMS.conf, yes it's normal, cause the user is supposed to edit default settings with the graphical interface, and save them
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby nxmehta » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:01 am

shagrath wrote:Headless detection is brought by Java (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/GraphicsEnvironment.html#isHeadless())
PMS.sh console is still working though, so it's better to force it I guess
About the PMS.conf, yes it's normal, cause the user is supposed to edit default settings with the graphical interface, and save them

So is there a way to force GUI mode? I can't seem to get video files to play with pms 1.03 with my 1.02.1 config. And I can't regenerate the conf file since I can't run in GUI mode :(

Any advice on what to do? And might this be fixed in the next version?
nxmehta

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:08 am

next version I guess, something like PMS.sh gui or noconsole
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby nxmehta » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:28 am

Figured out a way to force GUI mode from the command line. In the java command in PMS.sh, add "-Djava.awt.headless=false". This forces java to detect gui mode.

(this is for those who are waiting for shagrath to add a fix)
nxmehta

Return to Linux/Unix Support