PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMServ - Live CD for PS3 Media Server

Postby trobbins » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 pm

I have since installed v0.2.1 on a standalone machine.
This version has no memory problems on the
standalone machine, so the problem must lie
in the ESXi4 server. It also doesn't peg the
processor to 100% when not in use.
trobbins

Postby madmacx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi,

I would like to try PMServ. Where can i download it from. I'm waiting to get invite for Suse Galary. The Dropbox lin doesn't work anymore. Could you plz provide nieuw link?

Regards,
Madmacx
madmacx

Postby j2048b » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:31 pm

so if i have a mac will this work? or does it get set up on ps3 itself?

thanks
j2048b

Postby vyrticul » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 pm

No, this would need to be setup on a dedicated computer, it has the operating system and everything included in it.

I guess you could set it up in a virtual machine on your mac...
vyrticul

Postby j2048b » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:53 pm

vyrticul wrote:No, this would need to be setup on a dedicated computer, it has the operating system and everything included in it.

I guess you could set it up in a virtual machine on your mac...

Thanks appreciated! does it seem to do better streaming wise as far as the original app for ps3 media server is concerned?
j2048b

Postby vyrticul » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Compared to running PS3 Media Server on a computer that you do a lot of other stuff on? You should notice a nice improvement in performance especially with transcoding.

It runs on a pretty bare bones linux operating system so PS3 Media Server won't be bogged down by a bunch of other apps fighting for processing power and RAM.
vyrticul

Postby lot2smile4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Just to let people know that are running the PMServ distro... doing a ps3mediaserver-update will upgrade your PMS to r413, the latest SVN build. Works great on mine :D

Just a heads up :)

Thanks for this distro, and can I ask a cheaky question about how the 64bit version is coming along?? :D

Thanks!
Running SUSE 11.3 from the PMServ distro
Updated PMS to SVN version 413 (although at the moment trialling pms-mlx)
Running Java 1.6.0 b20 (latest for SUSE that I can find!)
Rendering on PS3 or Samsung 40C7000
lot2smile4

Postby Joksi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi

First of all, this bundled release is really a great idea. Congratulations!

Now on to my couple of questions.

1. Im running PS3 Media Server on Windows Vista on a Phenom II X3 720 (2,8Ghz) and a Gigabit connection (second NIC) to the PS3. I rarely have any problems with any transcoding, not even random 1080p material, but thought this Linux edition would be interesting to test!

I downloaded the ISO live-cd image and booted up my PC with it, during the setup I choosed my gigabit network card and then mounted my existing disk with all my media and shared it in ps3mediaserver-editconf. I run a sample test of the Big Bunny 1080p and to my surprise it worked kind of good, although a couple of seconds in the beginning it stuttered.

This leads me to my question, does this Linux build utilize all my three cores? (I have no stuttering at all in Windows edition)
I have read earlier in this post that there where no multi-core support, but to be sure I ask again.
Is it really possible one core at 2,8ghz can handle 1080p this good?

On to the next question...

2. How do I do all the regular setup and change settings like in the desktop version of PSM (ie Mencoder settings)? Is everything located in ps3mediaserver-editconf? As I recall there were not many existing config options.

3. Why does it take so long time before the movie starts playing when using the Goto feature in PS3 to move on in the movie?

The biggest reason why Im testing out this edition is that if there is more resources available for the transcoding, maybe some older CPUs can keep up, I plan now on testing to run it on my old PC with Pentium D 3ghz CPU and if it works this good with a single core I can leave my ordinary PC for other purposes and use this one as a standalone server :)

Thanks in advance!
Joksi

Postby vyrticul » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:12 pm

1. Correct. Right now only 1 core is used so you may have good luck with your Pentium D.

2. Right now everything is modified in ps3mediaserver-conf. If you want you can copy the PMS.conf file from your Windows install and put it in /opt/ps3mediaserver/ directory. Obviously you'll need to change the paths in the file. You can also use this as a reference.

3. Not sure why it would take any longer for the goto function to work. Maybe that will change when you get your mencoder settings configured.
vyrticul

Postby Joksi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks for your quick answers!

Do you know which is the default quality setting for the transcoder?
keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 (best) or keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=1 (lossless)?
Maybe its best, and im using lossless on my Windows PC so that could explain it worked good on one core.

How do you experience HD transcoding with it on a standalone server?

Im not that good at Linux, but do you have any command I can use to verify that my network card is really negotiating at 1 gbps?
Joksi

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support