PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

Postby maxcovergold » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 pm

As a follow up to my post a couple up, though prob not relivant just as weird. I reinstalled windows7 (64) the other day on the same machine but sperated HDD and as a temporary measure untill I can figure out why PMserv isn't muxing correctly, I decided to convert everything new to m2ts and AC3. But I was going bonkers over why evertime I created a file using tsmuxer or mkv2vob the file couldn't be rendered in MPCH.

I don't know why but it seemed to be because I was either running from or using folders on the ext3 drive as temp folders. Once I moved Tsmuxer back to C: (ntfs) and the temp dir in mkv2vob also, the files were coming up fine.

I really don't know why but thought I'd put this info here too just incase it might help with my question above. FYI I'm using ext2fsd to mount my pmserv drive (fixed mount).

Also I said before that it was only mkvs that weren't working. I actually came across a set of avis that had the same problem yesterday. Cheers
maxcovergold

Postby maxcovergold » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:35 am

Think I'm ready to give up on my mkv issues, just doesn't make sense, so'll I'll just mux/transcode stuff I want myself for now.

Possible feature request, a nice little plugin that was useful for the windows PMS was the ability to turn off the machine from a link i.e. seleting this link through my Braiva I could remotley turn off the PC/NAS at night. Would this be possible with PMServ? Keep up the great work, cheers
maxcovergold

Postby Joksi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 am

You can install the plugin yourself, I have done that..
Joksi

Postby slooff » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:46 am

@ vyrticul:
Great stuff; I am keen to hear when you have your repo up and whether a plain vanilla Opensuse 11.4 64-bit user like myself could use it ;-) If not, would you be willing to share the sourcecode you are using for mplayer-mt? I am struggling to get that working ATM.

Thanks!
opensuse 12.1, latest PMS build, mplayer/mencoder with static libraries, movieinfo, pmsencoder, edl plugin, PS3, XBOX, Samsung ES7000
slooff

Postby vyrticul » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 am

@maxcovergold shouldn't be too hard to add and seems like a nice feature, I'll check it out. Also as for your transcoding issue, not sure but all my mkv's going to my PS3 work just fine and they're on ext3 partition.

@slooff I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the repos on normal opensuse 11.4... once i get the time to get them up. I haven't had much time to work on it lately but hopefully that changes.

As for the mencoder-mt source code, I was having a heck of a time compiling it as well for openSUSE so I eventually broke down, took a version of it compiled for Debian and made sure the exact library versions it
was looking for were installed (or faked their install :)).

The method to do it is:

download http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb and extract mencoder-mt from it into /usr/bin/

then

Code: Select all
sudo yast2 -i libpng12-0 libjpeg6 libass4 libmad0 liba52-0 libbs2b0
sudo ln -s /lib64/libbz2.so.1.0.5 /lib64/libbz2.so.1.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/liba52.so.0 /usr/lib64/liba52-0.7.4.so
sudo mv /usr/bin/mencoder /usr/bin/mencoder-old
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mencoder-mt /usr/bin/mencoder
vyrticul

Postby slooff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:06 am

thanks for the quick update. I have some interesting results with these Opensuse and mplayer/mencoder versions:
Linux chunkykong 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-02-21 10:34:10 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
MPlayer dev-SVN-r33082-4.5-openSUSE Linux 11.4 (x86_64)-Packman (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
MEncoder dev-SVN-r33082-4.5-openSUSE Linux 11.4 (x86_64)-Packman (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team

I am using PMS SB19 with the following settings in PMS.conf:
mencoder_mt = false
nbcores =
mencoder_path = \/usr\/bin\/mencoder

when playing mkv's PMS starts mencoder with "-lavdopts debug=0:threads=4" and mencoder works fine using all 4 cores.... When playing DVD ISO's, PMS starts mencoder with "-lavdopts debug=0:threads=1" and as expected, uses only 1 core.

Benchmarks with mplayer OTOH don't show multi-threading working at all.

Maybe we don't have go through that many hoops anymore getting mplayer-mt to compile as it appears that the standard packages from packman are working fine, at least for mencoder.
opensuse 12.1, latest PMS build, mplayer/mencoder with static libraries, movieinfo, pmsencoder, edl plugin, PS3, XBOX, Samsung ES7000
slooff

Postby Joksi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 am

I think mencoder_mt should be true and nbcores should have the number of cores your system have!
Joksi

Postby slooff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:02 am

agreed, but apparently PMS is still working as I would want it to, even without these settings...
slooff

Postby maxcovergold » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Joksi wrote:You can install the plugin yourself, I have done that..

FYI, I have looked into installing the plugin for linux without success. I'm sure it's some simple alteration that anyone with linux knowledge could fix but I don't have that I'm affraid.

Did you actually get the plugin working with PMServ? If so do mind explaining how? Cheers
maxcovergold

Postby Joksi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 am

I don't have the details at the top of my head, but go into plugins section in the forums and there is someone that have made a version that you just put into the plugins folder.
Joksi

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support