.DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: .DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

Postby arrrghhh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 am

Paissad,

I love this repo, but it seems we are still on 1.21.0+svn507-1 in the repo. 1.25 is out, with 1.3 on the way...?

I'm still having issues with libmediainfo, I'm hoping a new version will resolve my issues. For now it's not installed, and I seem to have problems with certain media types... which I guess is expected. I miss the stability I once had with PS3MediaServer, I'd really like it back!
arrrghhh

Postby redmamoth » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:01 pm

arrrghhh wrote:Paissad,

I love this repo, but it seems we are still on 1.21.0+svn507-1 in the repo. 1.25 is out, with 1.3 on the way...?

I'm still having issues with libmediainfo, I'm hoping a new version will resolve my issues. For now it's not installed, and I seem to have problems with certain media types... which I guess is expected. I miss the stability I once had with PS3MediaServer, I'd really like it back!

+1

Or some instructions on how to do what Osiris X did?
redmamoth

Postby paissad » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 am

Sorry guys :oops:

1.25.1 deb package is now available in the repository !

Unfortunetaly, i fear that the connection will be slow because of huge upcoming connections to my server.
paissad

Postby paissad » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:12 am

If the download is too slow, you can download it manually from this link http://min.us/mveIufo.
After the download has finished, you only run the following command in order to install the new package.
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg -i xxxx.deb

where xxxx is the name of the downloaded file.
paissad

Postby ldumont » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Your repository is very slow, could you update the launchpad version as well?

I could also offer you to mirror your repository on my server, feel free to contact me.
ldumont

Postby arrrghhh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:10 pm

paissad wrote:Sorry guys :oops:

1.25.1 deb package is now available in the repository !

Unfortunetaly, i fear that the connection will be slow because of huge upcoming connections to my server.

Thanks! Let me know if you'd like another repo mirror, I can as well. Thanks again!
arrrghhh

Postby chocolateboy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:13 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Osiris X » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:43 am

@redmamoth - apologies for the delay in responding, I have been away working in the Netherlands
What is it exactly you want to know how to do? Build your own ps3ms linux packages?
Well I use debian and my starting point is http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ (but for Ubuntu, I presume something like: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete is what you should be looking at. It doesn't seem to have strayed far from the debian way)

I could then provide you with the contents of my debian build directory (or indeed you can extract something similar from Paissad's source from his repo) as a starting point. It contains things like the build rules file, changelog, control file, init script, patches, etc. (my patches are managed using quilt, and I am building against sun-java6)

Once you have had a chance to digest the above (and presumably you still want to go ahead and build the package yourself) I can throw some further advice / instructions together if required.

@all - When I built v1.25.1 I also added patch r664 from svn which appears to "Enable multithreaded MEncoder by default if more than 1 CPU core is detected" (presumably in lieu of manually setting "mencoder_mt = true" in PMS.conf). In debian multimedia squeeze repository there is actually a mencoder-mt (version 1.0~rc3git20100727-0.2) package available. However ps3ms appears to look for mencoder_mt instead of mencoder-mt so I corrected this by patching LinuxDefaultPaths.java appropriately. NOTE: I didn't actually test this in the end (but I will shortly) because my findings were superceded by the fact that it appears the main mencoder has been multi-thread enabled since the end of march (by passing option -lavdopts threads=N) - can anyone else corroborate this as it is a little confusing to me!

In any case mencoder version 3:1.0~rc4+svn20110505-0.0 in the debian repository should therefore have this capability. In an earlier post I indicated that using this version caused me audio distortion issues. Well that turned out to be related to using the acodec=ac3 option with the new mencoder version. Using acodec=ac3_fixed instead, solved the problem. Note this fix was already made the default in ps3ms in an earlier patch - hence I didn't see the issue in normal usage. But when I used the pmsencoder plugin to play web content it passed it's own options to mencoder and still used acodec=ac3 - this was easily remedied using a small custom script placed int he pmsencoder runtime script directory to change the option acodec option. Please note that in the forthcoming r662 patch which should be incorporated into ps3ms v 1.30 the ac3_fixed default is reversed and needs to be explicitly enabled as option "mencoder_ac3_fixed = true" in PMS.conf.

@chocolateboy - how difficult/feasible would it be to have pmsencoder check the mencoder_ac3_fixed option in PMS.conf and act appropriately?

Now I am in the process of testing multi-threading based on the above. Can someone tell me how to determine if mult-threading (or indeed both my cores) is(are) actually being used by ps3ms/mencdoer? (obviously when testing my 1st option it is easy, I just need to see if mencoder-mt is being used)

@arrrghh - RE: your libmediainfo problems, if they are the same as I described in my previous post - I doubt a new build of ps3ms will help you - short of disabling libmediainfo. The problem is libmediainfo version 0.7.44 - the SOLUTION: downgrade to 0.7.41. Later versions may eventually solve the problem too, but 0.7.45 in sid/unstable appears to be multi-arch enabled and thus the current ps3ms has trouble finding it.

hmmm... I guess that will be something I could create a patch for and submit. Does anyone know if there are any other external libraries used by ps3ms?

FYI - if you are going to manually install a downloaded .deb it is probably better to use 'gdebi' rather than 'dpkg -i' - apparently it handles dependencies etc in a much better way.

have fun kids!

Os
Last edited by Osiris X on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Osiris X

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:25 am

Osiris X wrote:@chocolateboy - how difficult/feasible would it be to have pmsencoder check the mencoder_ac3_fixed option in PMS.conf and act appropriately?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10809&p=51849#p51849
chocolateboy
Project Member

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support