.DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 MKV playback (Ubuntu 10.10)

Postby corio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Just wanted to say that I finally got MKV files to consistently play. I initially installed this DEB package to see if it would solve my MKV issue and it almost did but there was still inconsistency, sound issues and 'Data Corrupted' messages. I finally decided to 'apt-get purge' the following packages:

- ffmpeg
- Mencoder
- VLC
- mplayer
- pms-linux

I rebooted my Ubuntu 10.10 box and then re-installed using the automatic installation script provided here (which installs all the packages you just purged) and I am happy to say everything works perfectly now! All the MKV files play and sound is fine. So if any of you are having similar issues try that and hopefully it will work for you as well.

Cheers!
corio

Re: .DEB package available for Debian/Ubuntu

Postby squeeky » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:44 am

Corio, did you have any issue with DTS pass through? Mine (and my friends) stopped working with the last deb upgrade. When I disabled it forcing everything through mencoder I could watch all my vids again. I would like to get the DTS going again though and would like your input before I blow everything away.

Thanks
squeeky

Postby corio » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 pm

squeeky wrote:Corio, did you have any issue with DTS pass through? Mine (and my friends) stopped working with the last deb upgrade. When I disabled it forcing everything through mencoder I could watch all my vids again. I would like to get the DTS going again though and would like your input before I blow everything away.

Thanks

Not that I am aware of, everything was pretty much default installation with the DEB package after I purged all of the codecs I had installed previously and rebooted. So as far as I know my issues were related to conflicts in my codecs most likely..
corio

Re: PS3 MKV playback (Ubuntu 10.10)

Postby astjohn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:30 pm

corio wrote:Just wanted to say that I finally got MKV files to consistently play. I initially installed this DEB package to see if it would solve my MKV issue and it almost did but there was still inconsistency, sound issues and 'Data Corrupted' messages. I finally decided to 'apt-get purge' the following packages:

- ffmpeg
- Mencoder
- VLC
- mplayer
- pms-linux

I rebooted my Ubuntu 10.10 box and then re-installed using the automatic installation script provided here (which installs all the packages you just purged) and I am happy to say everything works perfectly now! All the MKV files play and sound is fine. So if any of you are having similar issues try that and hopefully it will work for you as well.

Cheers!

I have the same steup as Corio and followed his instructions. Everything works except DTS sound output.
astjohn

Postby adtoes » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:08 pm

corio wrote:Just wanted to say that I finally got MKV files to consistently play. I initially installed this DEB package to see if it would solve my MKV issue and it almost did but there was still inconsistency, sound issues and 'Data Corrupted' messages. I finally decided to 'apt-get purge' the following packages:

- ffmpeg
- Mencoder
- VLC
- mplayer
- pms-linux

Cheers!

right on mate cheers!

worked for me!
adtoes

Postby corio » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 pm

astjohn wrote:I have the same steup as Corio and followed his instructions. Everything works except DTS sound output.

Hmm not sure I understand what DTS sound output really means. All I know is ALL my MKV files are now working after doing what I listed here as my procedure. Sorry it didn't work for you, perhaps there is another codec installed that is conflicting and needs to be purged as well.
corio

Postby VeeDrummer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 am

Is there a way to keep the process from starting at boot?
VeeDrummer

Postby corio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 pm

I wasn't aware that it was set to start automatically from boot by default, as far as I know it wasn't. Check your startup applications under preferences in Ubuntu anyway and see if it is in there, if it is remove it.
corio

Postby paissad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:04 pm

@VeeDrummer
Code: Select all
sudo chmod  -x /etc/init.d/pms-linux

or a more proper way:
sudo update-rc.d -f pms-linux remove

if you want to re-enable the startup script, and depending on how you proceeded over, you can follow one of the commands:
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/pms-linux

sudo update-rc.d -f pms-linux defaults
paissad

Postby VeeDrummer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:53 pm

paissad wrote:@VeeDrummer
sudo chmod  -x /etc/init.d/pms-linux

or a more proper way:
sudo update-rc.d -f pms-linux remove

if you want to re-enable the startup script, and depending on how you proceeded over, you can follow one of the commands:
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/pms-linux

sudo update-rc.d -f pms-linux defaults

I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for everything you've done with the package.
VeeDrummer

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support