[Solved] Expert help: Tried it all, but still no dual core

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Expert help needed: tried it all, but still no dual core

Postby pivot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Finally....

IT WORKS!!!! :D

------------------------

Here's what I did:

Uninstalled everything, using make uninstall on everything I've installed so far (x264, mplayer, ffmpeg-mt etc etc).

I then followed this guide

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4253&

In the beginning it tells you

Code: Select all
First, follow these instructions to install the very latest ffmpeg and x264:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

Do that and follow that guide all the way down to "Using FFmpeg and x264"

Then go back to the original guide
(viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4253&)

When the original guide tells you to

Next, follow these instructions to install the very latest mplayer:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181
(Optionally, if you would like to use the multi-threaded branch of mplayer for better performance with multi-cpu configured PCs, use these instructions as well:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049449)

You will need to combine those two. What I did was

1. Follow http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181 all the way down to "Downloading & Compiling"
2. Switch to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049449 and do every step from "2. When you reach the step "Download and Compile the svn mplayer" proceed as andrew.46 says with downloading the mplayer source code from SVN:"
3. When it tells you to "Now just follow the rest of andrew.46's guide starting from: " switch to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181 to compile the player
- but, remember to do as the original guide (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4253&) tells you to
During this section of the guide:

$ cd $HOME/mplayer
    $ ./configure --cc=gcc-4.3 --confdir=/etc/mplayer --disable-mencoder --disable-x264
    $ make
    $ sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
       --pkgname mplayer-nogui --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
       --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn-`grep "#define VERSION" version.h | cut -d"-" -f2`"
    $ make distclean

We want to REMOVE the "--disable-mencoder --disable-x264" from the command, so that mencoder and x264 are compiled. The command should look like this:

./configure --cc=gcc-4.3 --confdir=/etc/mplayer

I did not do the "Completing the setup..." in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181 but instead followed the original guide (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4253&) from "rar archive fix"

-------------------------

And now it works!!! :D Hope this helps for everyone else that's had problems
pivot

Re: Expert help needed: tried it all, but still no dual core

Postby pivot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Btw, I can even play some 1080p files now... however I think I've noticed a small quality decrease. But I'm not sure, might be my brain tricking me since I've read somewhere that ffmpeg-mt would cause quality loss. It might be just as it used to :)
pivot

Re: [Solved] Expert help: Tried it all, but still no dual co

Postby KhaaL » Sun May 02, 2010 7:31 pm

great post pivot! Do you know if there is finished .debs for those who are too lazy and too afraid of compiling? :P
KhaaL

Postby pivot » Mon May 03, 2010 9:44 am

Don't think there are any debs for this particular solution. I have no idea how to make a deb either. Sorry dude, you'll just have to try for yourself. Not that hard though, I redid it the other day, and the method works like a charm :)
pivot

Postby sanctimon » Tue May 18, 2010 11:22 am

Has anyone actually seen the posts this post refers to? They refer to other posts, which, in turn refer to other posts. When you are done with the third posts you are to return to the previous post, continue from where you left off, but not exactly in the way that the other post is describing and once you reach that point you are to return to this post, which then promptly refers you to another post.

Can't someone who knows what they are doing just write a full, concise guide, instead of this constant table tennis?
sanctimon

Postby pivot » Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am

;)
pivot

Postby pivot » Tue May 18, 2010 12:39 pm

For your convenience I've made this recipe. I must admit I had some trouble understanding what I had initially written, so I can understand the confusion. The steps below should however be correct. Give it a go, and let me know if it worked :)

--------------- 1 --------------

First, remove previously installed mplayer and mencoder

sudo apt-get remove mplayer-nogui mencoder

and also remove previously installed h264, ffmpeg, ffmpeg-mt etc. Make sure you get it all away. Don't want any conflicts with previously installed attempts

--------------- 2 --------------

(from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095)
The instructions on the page are for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04. Separate instructions are also available for older releases:

Install the Dependencies
Uninstall x264, libx264-dev, and ffmpeg if they are already installed. Open a terminal and run the following:
sudo apt-get remove ffmpeg x264 libx264-dev

Next, get all of the packages you will need to install FFmpeg and x264 (you may need to enable the universe and multiverse repositories):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion git-core checkinstall yasm texi2html libfaac-dev libfaad-dev libmp3lame-dev libopencore-amrnb-dev libopencore-amrwb-dev libsdl1.2-dev libtheora-dev libx11-dev libxfixes-dev libxvidcore-dev zlib1g-dev

Install x264
Get the most current source files from the official x264 git repository, compile, and install. You can run "./configure --help" to see what features you can enable/disable. [url="ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/snapshots/"]Daily source tarballs[/url] are also available, and forum member Bachstelze provides x264 Ubuntu packages for anyone who doesn't want to compile.
cd
git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264.git
cd x264
./configure
make
sudo checkinstall --pkgname=x264 --pkgversion "2:0.`grep X264_BUILD x264.h -m1 | cut -d' ' -f3`.`git rev-list HEAD | wc -l`+git`git rev-list HEAD -n 1 | head -c 7`" --backup=no --default

Install FFmpeg
Get the most current source files from the official FFmpeg SVN, compile, and install. Run "./configure --help" to see what features you can enable/disable. [url="http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/releases/ffmpeg-checkout-snapshot.tar.bz2"]Nightly FFmpeg snapshots[/url] are also available.
cd
svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
cd ffmpeg
./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab
make
sudo checkinstall --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion "4:SVN-r`svn info | grep Revision | awk '{ print $NF }'`" --backup=no --default
hash x264 ffmpeg

That's it for installation. You can keep the ~/x264 and ~/ffmpeg directories if you later want to update the source files to a new revision. See "Updating Your Installation" below for more details.

--------------- 3 --------------

(from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181)

Over the last few years I have written several guides for the installation of the development version of MPlayer under Ubuntu. This particular version of that long series of guides is intended to bring the benefits of the cutting edge svn MPlayer to users of Karmic Koala by concentrating on upgrading the mplayer-nogui package. I should mention at this time that the mplayer-nogui package from the Karmic Repository is an improvement over packages seen in previous versions of Ubuntu and if the information below looks a little too much you will still be reasonably well served by simply installing the repository package. This guide is perhaps for those who want a little more...

============================
Some requirements...
============================

There is a little preparation work required before we actually lay hands on the MPlayer application and this will probably take about 30 minutes and involve a download of about 100 megabytes of extra software. First then for some necessary software:

------------------------
Required tools:
------------------------

Some compiling will be required for this guide so we will be downloading some compiling sotware as well as software to access subversion and git repositories and finally the utility checkinstall which will be used to keep the installation within the Ubuntu package management system. Copy the following and paste into a Terminal window, exclude the '$' marks which among other things demonstrates a new line of commands in this guide:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.3 g++-4.3 subversion checkinstall

Next to collect some development files:

---------------------------
Development files:
---------------------------

MPlayer works by automatically gathering functionality from various development files installed on your computer. The following list of files has been winnowed out from the standard sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer-nogui command in the interests of maintaining a cleaner system.

Special note concerning vdpau support: As of r29823 the svn MPlayer requires Version 190.32 (or later) of the NVidia drivers to enable vdpau output, which effectively renders the Karmic NVidia drivers and libvdpau package obsolete. To obtain vdpau output you will now need to obtain the latest drivers from NVidia and compile MPlayer against them, no extra options are needed as MPlayer will detect the drivers/libraries and enable vdpau support automagically.

The following is a single command:

sudo apt-get install ladspa-sdk libaa1-dev libasound2-dev libatk1.0-dev \
libaudio-dev libaudio2 libaudiofile-dev libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev \
libcaca-dev libcairo2-dev libcdparanoia-dev libcelt0 libdbus-1-dev libdc1394-22 \
libdca-dev libdca0 libdirectfb-dev libdirectfb-extra libdts-dev libesd0-dev \
libexpat1-dev  libffado1 libfontconfig1-dev libfreebob0 libfreetype6-dev \
libfribidi-dev libgif-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglib2.0-dev libglu1-mesa-dev \
libgsm1 libgtk2.0-dev libice-dev libjack-dev libjack0 libjpeg62-dev liblzo2-2 \
liblzo2-dev libmail-sendmail-perl libncurses5-dev libogg-dev liboil0.3-dev \
libopenal-dev libopenal1 libpango1.0-dev libpixman-1-dev libpng12-dev \
libpthread-stubs0 libpthread-stubs0-dev libpulse-dev libruby1.8 \
libschroedinger-dev libsdl1.2-dev libslang2-dev libsm-dev libsmbclient-dev \
libspeex-dev libsvga1 libsvga1-dev libsys-hostname-long-perl libsysfs-dev \
libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libvorbisidec-dev libvorbisidec1 libx11-dev libxau-dev \
libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb1-dev libxcomposite-dev \
libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxft-dev \
libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxml++2.6-2 libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxt-dev \
libxv-dev libxvidcore4 libxvidcore4-dev libxvmc-dev libxxf86dga-dev libxxf86vm-dev \
mesa-common-dev vstream-client-dev x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-core-dev \
x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev \
x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xext-dev \
x11proto-xf86dga-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev xtrans-dev \
zlib1g-dev libopencore-amrwb-dev libopencore-amrnb-dev libopenjpeg-dev

We will also add another useful packages here, a current set of Live555 libraries to enable playback of some streaming audio, although you have no interest in streaming audio simply omit this step, many streams will be processed natively by MPlayer anyway:

$ sudo apt-get remove liblivemedia-dev
$ cd $HOME
$ wget http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/live555-latest.tar.gz
$ tar xvf live555-latest.tar.gz
$ cd live
$ ./genMakefiles linux
$ make
$ sudo cp -r $HOME/live /usr/lib

These libraries are in constant development so come back here from time to time to repeat the process and pick up the updated libraries.

Next however to install a codec package:

-------------
Codecs:
-------------

MPlayer has the ability to use and external library of codecs to playback some media files. Conveniently Medibuntu holds these files and I would suggest that you now read over the following page to understand the implications of utilising this repository which is not part of Ubuntu:

Medibuntu - Community Ubuntu Documentation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

The actual syntax to add the repository (taken directly from the page above) is as follows, this a single command:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list \
 --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list &&
sudo apt-get -q update &&
sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring &&
sudo apt-get -q update

Once the repository is in place the following should download the appropriate codecs, it is a single command:

if [ "$(uname -m)" = "x86_64" ]; then
 sudo apt-get install w64codecs
else
 sudo apt-get install w32codecs
fi

--------------- 4 --------------

(from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049449)

2. When you reach the step "Download and Compile the svn mplayer" proceed as andrew.46 says with downloading the mplayer source code from SVN:

$ cd $HOME
$ svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer

When this is done it's time to download the ffmpeg-mt source code. First you need git, install it with the following command:

sudo apt-get install git-core

Then download the source code for ffmpeg-mt using git:

git clone http://git.gitorious.org/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mt.git

In order to make use of the now downloaded ffmpeg-mt source code you need to replace the three following folders from the mplayer source directory with the folders from the ffmpeg-mt directory: "libavcodec", "libavformat" and "libavutil".

cd mplayer #enter the directory where the mplayer source code is
rm -rf libavcodec libavformat libavutil #delete the three aforementioned folders
cp -a ../ffmpeg-mt/libavcodec . #copy the three folders from the ffmpeg-mt source dir to mplayers source dir
cp -a ../ffmpeg-mt/libavformat .
cp -a ../ffmpeg-mt/libavutil .

Now you have the mplayer source code in which the ffmpeg source has been replaced with the ffmpeg-mt source. You should be ready to go.

--------------- 5 --------------

$ cd $HOME/mplayer
$ ./configure --cc=gcc-4.3 --confdir=/etc/mplayer
$ make
$ sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
   --pkgname mplayer-nogui --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
   --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn-`grep "#define VERSION" version.h | cut -d"-" -f2`"
$ make distclean
pivot

Postby sanctimon » Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 pm

Thank you for taking the trouble. It is much appreciated. I shall give it a try and then report back.

One observation however. Instead of installing ffmpeg, should we not be installing ffmpeg-mt?
sanctimon

Postby skillfulabbot » Sat May 22, 2010 5:34 am

This no longer works.
skillfulabbot

Postby pivot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:02 pm

skillfulabbot wrote:This no longer works.

Works for me :) Try harder!
pivot

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support