Installing PMS on NAS (Synology DS-207+)

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Installing PMS on NAS (Synology DS-207+)

Postby the_stalli0n » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:13 am

Hi Atrem, Thanks...

heh, I know what you mean, but I'm hoping that it isn't that hard. From what I can gather, building a 1.5 compatible version should be easy using Ant. This is what I was told to do:
First, SVN checkout PMS form google code; Then, edit the build.xml file to make a 1.5 compatible target; then just run Ant to compile it. I have tried it, but I'm getting the same errors from JamVM, so I dunno what I did wrong... It looks like you got further than me in the first place, so maybe it's worth giving it a shot. Maybe shagrath can offer some more assistance/guidance? :)

PS: I downloaded PMS and did all the Ant stuff on my desktop, and then moved it over to the NAS (linkstation), so there's no need for sun-jdk6 or whatever on the NAS, just on the desktop...
the_stalli0n

Postby the_stalli0n » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:23 am

oops -- sorry, nevermind. I had installed JamVM 1.5.2 (which is in the stable feed, and the unstable), but that only work with gnu classpath v0.98 (0.97.2 is in the optware feed). i dunno if i can build the new version on the linkstation, but i'll give it a shot... *sigh* or maybe i'll just have to wait for the ipkg... :)

btw, i think that the build.xml file that came with the latest version of PMS already had set the target=1.5, so you might want to try out ant...
the_stalli0n

Postby Mr. Abulia » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:47 am

Hi! Brand new user here... I'm incredibly impressed with this app on my PC, but would also love to run it on my DNS-323. I think all of us NAS users are fine with the fact that video transcoding is out: none of the native DLNA servers do it anyway, so I am used to using mkv2vob to remux all my mkv video before watching anyway. What I'm not cool with is the D-LINK DLNA server not properly streaming files over 4GB in size (displays as the remainder after a multiple of 4gb, then just plays an amount of movie corresponding to that size - ie. shows a 4.5GB movie as .5GB and plays the first 15 minutes!) and dropping audio on divx files. Basically, the native DLNA server blows. I know that TVERSITY can run on the DNS-323, so I'm sure that it must be possible to run this media server as well.

Depending on where you are located, I may be willing to send the devs my DNS-323 to test the program on...
Mr. Abulia

Postby Topguy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Mr. Abulia wrote:. I know that TVERSITY can run on the DNS-323, so I'm sure that it must be possible to run this media server as well.

I really would like to see a link confirming that before I believe it.

But as I think I have said earlier in this thread; PMS is not the problem, it contains mainly java-bytecode that will run on almost any Java 1.6 (or 1.5) compatible Java Virtual Machine. Getting java to run on your device is not the PMS-developer(s) problem or responsibility because that has always been a pre-requisite for running PMS regardless of operating system.
Topguy

Postby Mr. Abulia » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:57 pm

My bad, Topguy... it was TWONKY that was installed on a DNS-323. That's an established procedure: see "http://forum.dsmg600.info/t1007-steps-twonky.html" for details.

So the theory is that if I can get java 1.5 or higher on the d-link box I can then load PMS? That's good news. Now all I need to do is teach myself a bit of linux so I can figure out how to do that.
Mr. Abulia

Postby the_stalli0n » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Mr. Abulia: glad to see someone else is trying this out... the process to get started is pretty simple; just look at Atrem's posts. Have you 'hacked' your NAS yet? First be able to SSH into it, and use ipkg to install stuff. Then, install ffmpeg, classpath, jamvm, and anything else that might be needed. Then, see if you can get Jamvm to work. I was unable to, since the latest jamvm ipkg is not compatible with the latest classpath ipkg (see my other post). Your optware feed might be different, i dunno...

Topguy||shagrath: do you know if we have to do anything special with the pms-linux package in order to make it work with Jamvm? Or will the latest builds work with a 1.5 vm? Thanks!!!
the_stalli0n

Postby the_stalli0n » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:58 pm

So, I thought I'd try to get PMS running my desktop machine using Jamvm, as a test. So, here's what happens:

Code: Select all
# jamvm -jar pms.jar
Couldn't find Main-Class attribute in pms.jar Manifest.

I looked up the error but didn't find much, except a mailing-list thread for another project. I followed some instructions I found:

# jar xf pms.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
# cat META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.7.0
Created-By: 10.0-b23 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
Main-Class: net.pms.PMS

#

Maybe that will mean something to someone else? :)

btw, i also got the same output from the jar i built with ant...
the_stalli0n

Postby Topguy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 am

the_stalli0n wrote:So, I thought I'd try to get PMS running my desktop machine using Jamvm, as a test. So, here's what happens:

# jamvm -jar pms.jar
Couldn't find Main-Class attribute in pms.jar Manifest.

http://www.digipedia.pl/man/jamvm.1.html
I'm pretty sure that you can add that main-class as a parameter when you start jamvm.

# jamvm -jar pms.jar net.pms.PMS
Topguy

Postby the_stalli0n » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:10 am

Hey Topguy -- thanks; I actually tried that already, with the same results. However, it looks like I'm getting the same error with anything that I try (even like a HelloWorld.jar), so I guess the problem is between me & jamvm :)

Hopefully I'll get it figured out. thanks again!

Maybe some other people can try out Jamvm + PMS (on x86, at least) to see what happens...

PS: I don't suppose that PMS would be able to run in cvm, the vm that comes w/ the phoneme package (j2me stuff, https://phoneme.dev.java.net/)?
the_stalli0n

Postby ruben76 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Hallo every body.
I'll plan to buy a QNAP 439 pro (http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=110). I'd red the post, and I suppose that the problem of the Synology o DLINK it's the CPU and memory.
The question is: With a Intel Processor 1,6 and 1Gb of ram, in linux, it's possible to use this powerful NAS as PS3 media server?
What is the limit of this configuration?
I've red that qnap support the QPKG. It's possible to made this kind of packet with PS3 media server??
Thks.

Ruben (Italy, sorry for my english)
ruben76

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support