HOWTO: PS3 Media Server on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: HOWTO: PS3 Media Server on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala

Postby lovswr » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:26 am

skrisna wrote:I was able to make PMS recognize my PS3 by changing "Playstation 3" in renderers/PS3.conf to "PLAYSTATION 3".

-K

Nice tip skrisna. I had the exact same problem & your solution fixed it.

Now the media server works fine for me for things stored on the hard drive. However, I can not get any web content (as in the web folder) to show up. Is there some way to manually activate that?
lovswr

Postby BalleClorin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:44 pm

t4it wrote:1. Go to your home directory and ctrl+h to see hidden files and folders.

2. Find the file, .bashrc and edit it.

3. At the end of the file add;

Code: Select all
export JAVA_HOME=/home/YOUR_UBUNTU_USERNAME/Downloads/jdk1.6.0_16/jre
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

the .bashrc file is run every time you start a bash shell (when you open a terminal), but not when running the script from GUI. Try adding the lines directly to the PMS.sh script (at the top, below the #!/bin/sh line)
BalleClorin

Postby seod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:43 am

I am very new, like two days, to Ubuntu and Linux. So please, if you have an answer for me, please dumb it down.

I followed the instructions in this post for installation. When I finished, the "Java PS3 Media Server 1.20" opened and it connected. Great.

My problem is: I closed the window and I don't know how to start "Java PS3 Media Server 1.20". I read the directions in this post, but is just isn't working for me.

How do I put a link on my desk or menu for opening the "Java PS3 Media Server 1.20"? Please, step by step and have patience with me as I am a recent Windows convert.
seod

Postby industrai » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 pm

first of all, good job on doing something advanced like this.. hopefully I can help you out a little bit, but know that there are a ton of resources on the net for doing simple tasks in ubuntu.

seod wrote:My problem is: I closed the window and I don't know how to start "Java PS3 Media Server 1.20".

If you just closed the window, PS3 Media server should still be running, there should be a PS3 Media Server icon in your taskbar that looks like a green play button. If you double click that, your window should re-open.

If you clicked Quit or File > Quit, that actually stops the PS3 Media Server, and you will need to restart it.

To start PS3 Media Server again, open a terminal, and run the following
    cd /home/username/ps3mediaserver
    ./PMS.sh

seod wrote:How do I put a link on my desk or menu for opening the "Java PS3 Media Server 1.20"? Please, step by step and have patience with me as I am a recent Windows convert.

Open gedit or any text editor and create a file called start-pms.sh, and paste the following code into it:

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/username/ps3mediaserver
./PMS.sh

(replace username with your actual username)

Save that file in /home/username/ps3mediaserver

you'll want to give that file execute permissions, from the terminal window

chmod a+x start-pms.sh

Now when you click on start-pms.sh, it should launch PS3 Media Server. You can add a shortcut to your desktop that points to that file, you should be able to figure that out.
industrai

Postby JerryH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 am

Looks like a bad trunk at the moment, as make gives :

In file included from libvo/vo_matrixview.c:33:
libvo/gl_common.h:273: error: expected ')' before 'value'
libvo/gl_common.h:275: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'GLint'
libvo/gl_common.h:276: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'GLenum'
libvo/gl_common.h:276: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'GLenum'
libvo/gl_common.h:277: error: expected ')' before 'format'
libvo/gl_common.h:278: error: expected ')' before 'target'
libvo/gl_common.h:280: error: expected ')' before 'target'
libvo/gl_common.h:282: error: expected ')' before 'target'
libvo/gl_common.h:285: error: expected ')' before 'x'
libvo/gl_common.h:288: error: expected ')' before 'target'
libvo/gl_common.h:333: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'GLenum'
libvo/gl_common.h:344: error: expected ')' before 'target'
libvo/gl_common.h:345: error: expected ')' before 'target'
libvo/gl_common.h:391: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:393: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:394: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:402: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:403: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:403: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'GLuint'
libvo/gl_common.h:403: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:403: error: 'GLuint' declared as function returning a function
libvo/gl_common.h:404: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:405: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:407: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:408: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:409: error: expected ')' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:410: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:411: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:412: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:413: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:414: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:415: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:416: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:417: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:418: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:419: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:420: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:421: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:422: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:423: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:424: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:427: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:428: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:429: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:430: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:431: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:432: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:433: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:434: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:435: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:436: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:437: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:438: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:439: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:440: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:441: error: expected ')' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:443: error: expected ')' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:444: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:445: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:446: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:447: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:447: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'GLboolean'
libvo/gl_common.h:447: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:447: error: 'GLboolean' declared as function returning a function
libvo/gl_common.h:448: error: expected ')' before 'intptr_t'
libvo/gl_common.h:449: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:450: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:452: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:455: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:458: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:460: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:463: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:464: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:465: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:466: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:467: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:468: error: expected ')' before '*' token
libvo/gl_common.h:469: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:470: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:471: error: expected ')' before 'const'
libvo/gl_common.h:473: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
libvo/gl_common.h:476: error: expected ')' before 'const'
make: *** [libvo/vo_matrixview.o] Error 1

Linux quartz 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Running on a Q6600 here atm, and dual booting into Windows 7 and 7 is killing Ubuntu at the moment by using mencoder_mt.

No multi-threaded loveliness here :(

Anyone know what version of trunk in SVN is the working one ?

Or as it's early days here is Ubuntu AMD64 the way to go ?
JerryH

Postby dasbooter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:35 am

I am currently running 369 just from my home directory with a script in "startup applications" to cd to the pms.sh directory and then run pms.sh. This seems to be working ok but I have a few issues.. I think.

1)Is it the default behavior for items to not show up in the media library/cache until one dives down into the shared directory.As an example say I have a video residing in the file system at /mnt/share/movies so I share the directory movies. I then add more movies to that directory. In this case I know i have added those movies so I navigate on the ps3 to the media library whereupon I cannot see the content listed under any of the headings say, "date added" If I then navigate on ps3 to shared directory /movies I can see the content there and then back to the media libary I can then see it under the various headings. I have a lot of content added automatically via rss feeds etc and it would be nice to have this come up automatically in the media library under date added. Is the media library supposed to automatically refresh?

2)Restarting the http server from the ps3 seems to lock up the entire ps3 server I see a corrupt data message when trying to call this command from the ps3 and then I can no longer contact the ps3 media server and I have to go to the computer and manually kill the media server and restart. Is any body else seeing this ?
dasbooter

Postby gridained » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Hello, and Happy new year !

I'm french User of PS3 Media Server, and first of all thanks for this tuto.

I've an Ask, how can i remove the "start minimized" function now ?

when i launch "PMS_start.sh" everything is ok but all is completely transparent !
(nothing in taskbar or don't know where it is)
how can i have access to the primary window of PMS

Thank you for your help

I'm a beginner on Linux !
gridained

Postby Umbra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Open PMS.conf and look for this line minimized = true
change it to minimized = false and save :-)
Umbra

Postby gridained » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Thx Umbra

there is no other option to do this ? with a command in a terminal ?

and how can i stop PMS (nothing in taskbar) another solution by kill process java and pms-start ?

thx
gridained

Postby Umbra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm

sudo apt-get install htop

Great program for killing processes :-)

*EDIT Minimized isnt working in Linux. Atleast not in Ubuntu it seems...
Umbra

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support