Use of cache breaks PMS

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Use of cache breaks PMS

Postby Cantello » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:15 am

I have recently installed PMS on my Ubuntu headless server to serve videos to my PS3, as my previous UPnP server (mediatomb) had some problems with interrupted videos.

Everything works so far, but once I enable the use of the cache ("usecache = true" in PMS.conf), the console does not find PMS, not even after initiating a search from the PS3. When this option is disabled, everything works as normal.

What could cause this behaviour? I am using PMS r356 with Ubuntu 9.04 on an eeeBox.
Cantello
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Use of cache breaks PMS

Postby shagrath » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:24 pm

the usecache option should create some files in your home directory... maybe a permission issue (check the debug.log, if this file has been created, of course :p)
shagrath
Project Lead
 
Posts: 2667
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: Use of cache breaks PMS

Postby Cantello » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:26 pm

shagrath wrote:the usecache option should create some files in your home directory... maybe a permission issue (check the debug.log, if this file has been created, of course :p)


Hmm... neither were pms-related files created in my home directory, nor was there any debug.log to be found.

I run PMS as a system service with a system user that has no home directory, maybe that's why? Can I specify somehow where to put the debug.log and/or the cache files?
Cantello
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Use of cache breaks PMS

Postby Topguy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Cantello wrote:
shagrath wrote:the usecache option should create some files in your home directory... maybe a permission issue (check the debug.log, if this file has been created, of course :p)


Hmm... neither were pms-related files created in my home directory, nor was there any debug.log to be found.

I run PMS as a system service with a system user that has no home directory, maybe that's why? Can I specify somehow where to put the debug.log and/or the cache files?


Without being 100% sure I think both are attempted generated in the directory where you run the program from. That doesnt necessary mean the directory where the program is installed.
Topguy
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Use of cache breaks PMS

Postby Cantello » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:11 pm

Topguy wrote:Without being 100% sure I think both are attempted generated in the directory where you run the program from. That doesnt necessary mean the directory where the program is installed.


While looking at the log in /var/log/pms/pms-[date], I found that PMS was expecting the database directory in the directory where it was installed (maybe also where it was run from). After creating and chowning it to the pms user, it seemed to work. I can access the "tiny media library admin interface", but apart from starting the scan I can do nothing and on my PS3, no titles/videos/etc. are shown. Do I just have to wait some more while PMS is scanning my folders?

Also, while selecting PMS on the Playstation, "A DLNA error 7531 has occurred" is displayed.

edit: After some restarts, the PMS is found and works. :-)
Additionally, a new item is shown: "#- Media Library -#", but without any files in it. Is there a special way to populate the library?
Cantello
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:56 am


Return to Linux/Unix Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests