Cant find Media server

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Cant find Media server

Postby jonny_bowes » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:57 pm

HI,I know this is a time old topic but here goes.

Just got to a new house with new PS3 and new ISP. connecting to internet/online gaming with no issues.
Thing is I cant do the media sharing between PS3 and my Ubuntu 9.04.The server software says 'Ps3 not found' and my PS3 says no servers found.
Same issue on my gf laptop in Vista.

Im sure its the routers fault but tinkered with that to no avail. Made PS3 ip static,turned off router firewall etc..

Heres the last few lines of the trace:
[AWT-EventQueue-0] TRACE 16:52:17.665 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
[AWT-EventQueue-0] TRACE 16:52:17.665 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
[Thread-7] TRACE 16:52:33.492 Sending ALIVE...
[Thread-7] TRACE 16:55:36.563 Sending ALIVE...
jonny_bowes

Re: Cant find Media server

Postby Topguy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:45 pm

If you tell us exactly how PC and PS3 is connected to router, and name and model of router then maybe we can help.
Right now we have too little information.

But always check that PMS selected the correct network card, and that the port 5001 is open in the firewall on the PC.
Topguy

Re: Cant find Media server

Postby jonny_bowes » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:15 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.The problem is 'sort of' fixed. I had the PS3 hooked up to the router 'wired' so I tried it wirelessly and the media server worked.
I am baffled,it must be my router that is the issue as amate has his ps3 hooked up wired and his media server works. It should work the same on mine?

Anyway.I'm on an inspiron 9300 with an intelpro wireless. router is a Cisco EPC2425 with upnp etc allowed.I toyed with firewalls off and nothing.

I would ideally like to have my PS3 wired to the router as it make for better connections.

Thanks
jonny_bowes

Return to Linux/Unix Support