PSM suitable for low-end headless server?

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PSM suitable for low-end headless server?

Postby Cantello » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:05 am

Dear all,

I am currently looking for a suitable UPnP server to stream videos to my PS3. However, two of the servers I have tried so far had problems, stuttering videos, etc.

Would PSM be suitable for a headless installation on a lower-end Atom-powered eeeBox for streaming only? I am kind of suspicious as for the requirements as the server is written in Java.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Helge.
Cantello

Re: PSM suitable for low-end headless server?

Postby Topguy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Basic streaming will work very well, but transcoding will be a problem. The Java part is not a problem if you are running a standard server or desktop distro. You can have too little memory, but 512MB or over should be sufficient (depending on what else you will be running).
Topguy

Postby Cantello » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for your input, I run Ubuntu Jaunty Server with 2GB of RAM, so this probably won't be a problem.

Then I'm off to install PSM! :-)
Cantello

Postby efj » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:13 pm

I have installed PMS on an atom 330 motherboard, with 2 Gb of RAM, http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/m ... erview.htm to be more precise.
I installed an ubuntu 9.04 server on it (no X server), and I can tell you that the result is literally awesome!

The only tricky part was to get a multi-threaded version of mencoder to run on it, but once this was done, I could transcode 720p mkv movies with 5.1 sound and subtitles without any stuttering at all.

The main drawback of the eee box is that the CPU is a single core intel atom. In any case, you should try to install the multi-threaded version of mencoder using the tutorial available on this forum because the single core atom is virtually made available as a dual core CPU, so you won't be able to fully use it if you run a single threaded version of mencoder.
efj

Return to Linux/Unix Support