CoreAVC + CUDA

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

CoreAVC + CUDA

Postby samus » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:58 am

I've spent 3 days on this board trying to figure out how to get my videos transcoded with CoreAVC/CUDA. At this point I've got CoreAVC decoding my videos in mplayer/smplayer. I *think* it's even doing so with the help of my CUDA-enabled graphics card. What I can't figure out is how to get transcoding options to show up in PMS (other than MEncoder and TsMuxer).

FYI, I got mplayer to use CoreAVC by following the instructions here, which are not specifically related to PMS.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with the last few pieces to the puzzle. Also thanks to the community for helping me get this far!
samus

Re: CoreAVC + CUDA

Postby Topguy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 am

samus wrote: What I can't figure out is how to get transcoding options to show up in PMS (other than MEncoder and TsMuxer).
FYI, I got mplayer to use CoreAVC by following the instructions here, which are not specifically related to PMS.

Mencoder and TSmuxer are the only two transcoding engines that exist on Linux in PMS so far I think. CoreAVC is only used with AVISynth on Windows even.

I'm mot sure what you are trying to achieve here ? Do you want to run full transcoding on CUDA ? Those instructions only mentions "decoding" of x.264 video since that is what you usually nedd if you have CUDA capable Gfx-card + crappy (silent) CPU.
Topguy

Re: CoreAVC + CUDA

Postby chuckman78 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 am

I might be wrong but I think you could manage to do this if you install the proprietary drivers from Nvidia in Ubuntu, locate the nvcuvid.dll file and copy it to:

/usr/lib/win32/
/usr/local/lib/win32/

and probably to the bin and the source directories too.

If you can't find nvcuvid.dll on ubuntu, look for it in your windows installation.

I HAVE NOT testted this, as I don't own a CUDA capable video card.

Regards,

Carlos.
chuckman78

Return to Linux/Unix Support