Memory blowout

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Memory blowout

Postby rew-nz » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:32 am

I tried PMS on a CentOS 5.3 running as a virtual server on OpenVZ but when I started PMS under ssh the memory usage goes from 100+MB to 980+MB and even trying to browse movies results in errors about not being able to allocate momeory for ffmpeg etc.
Did a browse on google and came up with using ushare which can be installed with yum and runs as a service. Took about 2 minutes to install and set config values then restart the service and I was up and running.
Anybody else had memory problems and work out how to fix it.
rew-nz

Re: Memory blowout

Postby rew-nz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:15 am

well that didn't really work, no trans coding with ushare so I am no better off unless I go through any non compatible files and convert them. still no info on a memory fix
rew-nz

Re: Memory blowout

Postby helfrez » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Had the same issue, same setup running a debian 64bit container. The thing is, if you check the host memory, its not actually using the full stack of memory when looking at the host node. You can tweak the allocation by modifying your PMS.sh. The variable -Xmx768M controls the heapsize the jvm tries to allocate.

What I found is that you HAVE to also set a video buffer in your PMS.conf file to lower the heap value. I am running with:

exec java -Xms256M -Xmx512M -Djava.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar pms.jar net.pms.PMS

Seems to be pretty stable, it streams unconverted 1080p with no issues, and seems to be able to convery 720p mkv without any hiccups. Let me know if you need beancounters or something like that.
helfrez

Return to Linux/Unix Support