Simple, clear instructions

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Simple, clear instructions

Postby pcawdron » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but... how the hell do you start this thing up in Ubuntu?

I've downloaded the file, dumped the contents into a folder called PS3 in my Home directory. I have JRE 6 installed using synaptic package manager. I can see PMS.sh as a file but if I double click on it or try to run sudo PMS.sh from a command line absolutely NOTHING happens.

Thanks,
Peter
pcawdron

Re: Simple, clear instructions

Postby ocean17 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi Peter,

Having gone through that issue myself, I can list the things that got it working for me (by the sounds of it, you'll know #1 but maybe the second will fix it for you).

#1. Is the PMS.sh file ready to run as a program? Simply right click it, select Properties. Then click the Permissions tab & make sure the 'Allow Executing File as Program' is ticked. If it wasn't ticked then that was very likely the problem & you mightn't need #2

#2. Another source of the problem could be that not all the back-end video software you need is installed yet, so the I'd check out this link which I've used for a few friends to get the program working - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 . If the long list of info on the page looks very daunting, don't worry you won't need all of it but will need the 'preparation' & 'video' sections. Also keep an eye out for the section headings, there's a lot of info there for versions of Ubuntu before 9.04 - so don't do them unless they apply.

This link I was very thankful for and is from this forum post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1508.

It's well worth the effort to get the program working, enjoy.
ocean17

Postby ehlee » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:46 pm

I have made sure that I allow PMS.sh file 'allow executing file as program' but now nothing happens. Am I missing something?
ehlee

Postby ocean17 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi,
That's a pity, I'm guessing when you double-click the PMS.sh icon that you get the option to run, display, run in terminal etc. If you pick run in terminal and nothing happens after that. Then look at #2 for the next steps.
ocean17

Postby Dave_will » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Use a terminal window and goto the PMS directory. i.e cd $HOME/PS3/

try
sh -x PMS.sh

This should start the script running. At the very least it should provide more info on what the problem is.
Dave_will

Postby ehlee » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:20 am

okay I tried running from the terminal and this is what i get:

+ dirname PMS.sh
+ DIRNAME=.
+ cygwin=false
+ uname
+ false
+ [ x = x ]
+ cd ./
+ pwd
+ PMS_HOME=/home/eug/pms-linux-1.10.5
+ export PMS_HOME
+ [ x = x ]
+ [ x != x ]
+ JAVA=java
+ PMS_JAR=/home/eug/pms-linux-1.10.5/pms.jar
+ false
+ exec java -Xmx768M -Djava.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar
/home/eug/pms-linux-1.10.5/pms.jar
exec: 1: java: not found

my guess is that i'm missing a file or something but i have no idea where to start
EDIT: I believe i'm missing java however i thought i already installed it. Does anyone know where I can find a good guide?
ehlee

Postby Ischliky » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:01 am

for a fresh ubuntu install, you should only need 3 steps, 1 of which you likely could have done already

in the directory of your install:

chmod +x PMS.sh

then you will likely have done this one already

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

if not, do it now, as it gets you most of the codecs you will ever want, lastly do

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg mplayer mencoder

this will install the files PMS is actually gonna use off your system.

ive done this on a few systems and it really is that simple for all of them that ive done.
Ischliky

Postby rnc3009 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:55 am

ehlee wrote:...
EDIT: I believe i'm missing java however i thought i already installed it. Does anyone know where I can find a good guide?
I downloaded the latest from Sun and used their instuctions to install. I then used galternatives to set a new location for java and set that as active. Check the right version so Java is active using java -version in a terminal. I initailly had 1.5 and pms would not launch. As soon as I had the latest version in launched.
rnc3009

Return to Linux/Unix Support