comvert files to play on ps3?

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

comvert files to play on ps3?

Postby EzZn0 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Hello mates! I'm new with all of this mediaserver thing to ps3 so I am wondering if I have to convert files to play on ps3?

I can't find any good transcoding program to ubuntu 9.04 without loosing quality.

I want to copy the files to my ps3 so if I have understand it right I can't have it in .mkv format.

And how do I put the subs in the movie so it plays in the ps3? I want the subs and the movie in 1 file.

Sorry for the noob questions! :oops:
EzZn0

Re: comvert files to play on ps3?

Postby meskibob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Most of these have been asked and answered in some version or another on the forum. Next time do some searching.
EzZn0 wrote:Hello mates! I'm new with all of this mediaserver thing to ps3 so I am wondering if I have to convert files to play on ps3?
PMS streams PS3 compatible files and transcodes/remuxes non-compatible files all on the fly. The only reason you would need to preconvert your files is if your computer and/or network can't keep up with the transcode/remux.
EzZn0 wrote:I can't find any good transcoding program to ubuntu 9.04 without loosing quality.
You can losslessly transcode within PMS but it's at a price as far as CPU load and bandwidth.
EzZn0 wrote:I want to copy the files to my ps3 so if I have understand it right I can't have it in .mkv format.
The PS3 won't accept MKVs, so during the copy process PMS actually sends the transcoded version that's PS3 compatible. Note that the file size can be much larger depending on your quality settings.
EzZn0 wrote:And how do I put the subs in the movie so it plays in the ps3? I want the subs and the movie in 1 file.
Not sure how to embed the subs, but the PS3 doesn't accept softsubs for streamed media and I believe only AVI/Divx .srt's for media on the drive. PMS handles subs by hardcoding the subs into the video via transcoding, and this works for external subs and embedded subs.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby EzZn0 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:40 pm

yes, but how do if I want to have subs that are in a .srt file on ps3?

Sorry mate for the post but I have searched for a whole day (almost) so I am kinda tired.

EDIT: I just have to put the .srt in the map with the movie and the subs is working!

But a problem is that the subs is so big, almost so it covers the whole screen!
EzZn0

Postby EzZn0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Hello mates! I just wanted to say that it have just worked fine. But the subs problem is still there. And then I tried yesterday to play a .wmv file it said that DATA IS NOT SUPPORTED. But when I tried with another .wmv it worked just fine. Both of the files was downloaded from the same website. After that I tried to play a HD-wmv but when I started it ps3 locked it self and I had to press the shutdown button on ps3.
EzZn0

Return to Linux/Unix Support