5.1 MPEG-4 AAC audio - speakers issue

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: 5.1 MPEG-4 AAC audio - speakers issue

Postby efj » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Does anyone have a link to a 5.1 video file sample, with a black background and only a voice saying something as stupid as:
* left channel
* center channel
* right channel
* surround left channel
* surround right channel
* (LFE channel)
... and this on the right channels of course ...

I would very much like to have this in order to work out this channel issue ...

It's not that easy to find on this world wide web, so if you happen to have this in your closet, please do me a little favor ;)

Many thanks,

Eric
efj

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Maybe you'll have luck with the DTS/DD trailers they used to put at the beginning of movies to show that the theater contained high quality sound. They usually feature a sweeping motion that hits all the speakers in a circle so you can make sure it's got the proper order.
It looks like there are a few at the following location:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downl ... ilers.html

However, for the actual speaker test you could try extracting the audio out of the following exe's: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... aspx#link6
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby cambba » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:26 pm

I have the exactly same problem, multichannel audio has channels mixed up. I've tried compiling mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg from svn and installing from repository, but no help. It worked flawlessly until I upgraded ubuntu to 9.04, and I was ready to give up.

But it is nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue, hope that this will be resolved soon. I can post debug logs etc if it helps at all.
cambba

Postby Flink » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Hey there !

I have the same problem. But I've digged in a little and found some (interesting?) things.
I use ubuntu 9.04, medibuntu and rvm ppa repositories.

First I don't have a problem at all with the mplayer/mencoder 2:1.0~rc3~pre1-0jaunty4 version. Sound is on good channels, both for DTS and AC3.
When I use a much newer release of mencoder, I have the problem. When I use the multithreaded version of mencoder, I have the problem. Ah yes just to clarify, I only have an AC3 decoder, so DTS is transcoded to AC3 by mencoder, and I only have problem with DTS to AC3 audio.
Well, I ran mencoder in a terminal without all these -quiet option that PMS uses. And when launching, it says: [ac3 @ 0xacc80a0]No channel layout specified. The encoder will guess the layout, but it might be incorrect.

Seaching a little bit on the web and I have found that it appears to be a ffmpeg related problem. So far I haven't tried to get newer libavcodec and all.
Also specifying a channel order via the -af channels option doesn't remove the warning message.

So if someone find how to resolve this issue, it'll be really great !
Flink

Postby Flink » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Ok just tried with a mencoder-mt compiled from svn revision 29544 and guess what ? It works !! :)
The mplayer team has corrected this annoying bug in the latest revisions, and now all workd perfectly.
So if you have problem, just get a svn version of mplayer and it should do it.
Flink

Postby cambba » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:27 pm

You are right, I just updated the svn copy to the latest and compiled, now the audio really does work!

I do, however, have still few problems: on most of the mkv's I cannot get subtitles working, and with many of the mkv's I get ffmpeg errors in log (some of the errors don't seem to have any effect on playback, some will prevent it), but I guess those might not be related to this issue.

Anyway, this is great news, it's been a while since I could actually use ps3mediaserver :D

Flink wrote:Ok just tried with a mencoder-mt compiled from svn revision 29544 and guess what ? It works !! :)
The mplayer team has corrected this annoying bug in the latest revisions, and now all workd perfectly.
So if you have problem, just get a svn version of mplayer and it should do it.
cambba

Postby efj » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Just to confirm that this bug is now solved.

Not yet available on the ppa though :-/

I compiled the multi-threaded version earlier today, it is working flawlessly :-)

Thanks for the hint!
efj

Previous

Return to Linux/Unix Support