I can't use styled subs on my Ubuntu 9.0.4, i added the medibuntu sources list, but no sigar.
After seeing this post i also builf ffmpeg the way the page described, yet i can't get PS3Mediaserver to display ASS styled subs.
I think the problem lies with mencoder because of the following:
- When i use the version medibuntu or ubuntu tries to give me (or any other pre-compiled version) and i turn on ASS subs in PS3Media server, it'll give me a corrupt data screen on every movie that uses subs.
- When i compile my own version with ASS subs enabled, PS3Media server shows me the movie on my screen, but without any subs, even if i select the subs in the transcoding folder.
- When i run the command that PS3Media server uses to get a working video file (with ASS enabled), and play it later on my own pc, it plays fine, but without subs. If i do this with the mencoder from ubuntu or medibuntu it gives me a segmentation fault.
- When i select fontconfig+ASS default style, the video plays fine with subs (but not styled ofcourse).
- When i search all over the internet for this problem i come across posts on the mplayer.hq-dev mailinglist that say that ASS support is not working in mencoder. For some reason there is a patch, but it does not seem to do anything on my system.
Patch i tried can be found here: (http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-142714.html
) or here (http://lists.zerezo.com/mplayer-dev-eng/msg20795.html
- Lastly, when i play the same files in mplayer, it plays fine with styled ASS subs, so finding the decoder/fonts are not the problem.
I'd be happy to get styled subs working, and i'll probably will keep trying some more, but i think i've hit a dead end at the moment and maybe only the guys who develop mencoder can actually fix this.