access files not on root drive

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

access files not on root drive

Postby CrazyNatey » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:50 am

Hello. I have just installed PS3 Media Server on Linux Mint 17. When I browse for files/folders to add it only lets me browse my root drive. All of my media files are stored on a secondary drive that I have setup inside my PC. This drive shows up in Linux under my devices, but I am unable to find out how to add folders from this device as shared folders on my media server. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Natey
CrazyNatey

Re: access files not on root drive

Postby CrazyNatey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 am

ok. So I figured this out. I had to make sure my drive was mounted, then it would show up in the media folder. This was a pain as I am running PMS as a Daemon on my linux box. I did not want to have to login and mount my partition everytime I rebooted so I followed this guide here to make sure my partition was automatically mounted on boot. I then pointed my share to the folder where I mounted the data and voila, it all seemed to be working.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... e079ef4534

However... it did not fully work. Now whenever I reboot my linux box i can see that the PMS service starts, and I can find it's attached java process running in my processes. However I am unable to see the media server on my PS3. If i restart the service using sudo then it does show up, so it appears that setting my partition to auto-mount is causing problems with the PMS service starting. In my log file I see

'Error sending ALIVE message java.io.IOException: no usable network interface found for UPnP multicast'

I've done some research on this and what I've found suggests that the connection is being blocked by a firewall, however I don't have a firewall installed or setup yet on this machine. Any ideas what else could cause this?
CrazyNatey

Re: access files not on root drive

Postby CrazyNatey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:26 am

Nevermind, no help is needed. Here's what I did to fix it

In the PMS settings I set the following

Force Networking on interface = my wlan interface
Force IP of the Server = the IP address of my server

After this now everything comes up and works just fine after a reboot.
CrazyNatey

Return to Linux/Unix Support