PMS Won't Show Up in Renderers

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS Won't Show Up in Renderers

Postby donniezazen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi,

PMS isn't showing up in any of my renderers PS3 and Raspberry Pi XBMC.

Here are the logs

PMS in Terminal
debug.log
PMS Config
demon file

Please let me know if more info is required.
Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.
donniezazen

Re: PMS Won't Show Up in Renderers

Postby donniezazen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 pm

No luck so far.

I can't start PS3MediaServer by issuing sudo start ps3mediaserver or sudo service ps3mediaserver start It starts and shows up automatically when I restart my server. But it just shows folders but not media.
Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.
donniezazen

Postby benand1985 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Hmm...

Can you check the directories and file permissions of
/usr/lib/ps3mediaserver/PMS.conf
/usr/lib/ps3mediaserver

Just issue a "ls -l" and check to see what they are set to. I am curious as I was seeing the following in your logs;

Unable to save to file /usr/lib/ps3mediaserver/PMS.conf
/usr/lib/ps3mediaserver/PMS.conf (Permission denied)

I am not sure but it seems that it could be permissions related. I am currently using "CentOS" for my installation and I installed PMS under the root user giving it open permissions to the directory structure I installed my instance in and I am not running into these issues.

If this is permissions/ownership related, I would be curious if a recursive "chown" could take care of that for you. With "chown -R user:group directory" or if it is not the file ownership if it could be the overall permissions of the files where the user does not have execute or read permissions. Granted it is not safe at all to do this but you could "chmod +rwx file" or if you can remember all of the Linux permissions "chmod ### file" and pass it the "-R" as well to set recursive permissions. Either way I would look at the directories and permissions/ownership of the files to ensure that the user you are starting the PMS server as has the ability to read an write to the directories where the PMS server was installed.

One thing I would be weary about in the "chown -R" realm is that you would not want to do this on major directories that the operating system needs to commit changes to as you can bork your Linux install. ie... Don't "chmod -R user:group /usr" because that could end badly..

One thing I have also noticed is that when using UPNP/DLNA to my PS3, you have to be in the correct container for the files to be present. aka... Music for Music and Movies for Movies.... otherwise, the files might not exist in their containers so I would check this first before mucking in the BASH shell. Anyways... Just my 2 cents... ;)
benand1985

Postby donniezazen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks benand1985.

It seems the problem was openjdk. I have switched to Oracle Java and everything seems to run fine.
Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.
donniezazen

Return to Linux/Unix Support