PMS is detecting MPEG-4 as MPEG-2

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS is detecting MPEG-4 as MPEG-2

Postby obbl » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:46 am

Hi there,

that's my first post although I'm using PMS quite a while now. Great software, most of the time it was my fault, when it was not working. The last time I had to install libmediainfo and everything was fine again. :D

But now I had again problems that PMS detected MP4 containers (X264 video, AAC audio) as MPEG-2 videos and transcoded them. That lead to very bad quality compared to the "real" video streams. All my videos are DVD material converted to these codecs or HD videos with 720p. I tested all the videos with XBMC as UPNP server and they worked great...no hint in the debug.log why PMS is transcoding them. And now the surprise: after some remuxing and trying to find the cause a simple UNIX "touch" command to all video files solved the problem!? PMS generated all thumbnails from scratch and everything worked fine. Does anyone have any idea what's my problem?

Is there documentation available on PMS's decision strategy to transcode or not? Code browsing is also ok.

Ahh, my system is a very exotic Linux system (http://www.crux.nu) with nearly all packages compiled by myself. So I know at least what I did :)

Thanks for any hint!

Martin.
obbl

Re: PMS is detecting MPEG-4 as MPEG-2

Postby obbl » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:54 pm

No idea? I updated to 1.72.0 now, cleaned up the config file and will watch the behaviour. Every video is correctly detected as MPEG-4.

Regards,
Martin
obbl

Return to Linux/Unix Support