bad sound on some movies - gentoo

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

bad sound on some movies - gentoo

Postby elemay » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi,

some movies are sounding like being under water, some sounding like a horde of crickets flying around.

What i have found out, movies with vorbis audio codec seem to have this problem.

What could i do to eliminate this behaviour??

greets

elemay.

P.S.
cpu: Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
network: gbit
ram: 8gb
pms version: 1.54.0
elemay

Re: bad sound on some movies - gentoo

Postby elemay » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:20 am

Hi,

i just tried the following. :)

i installed ubuntu in a vm installed happy-neko ps3mediaserver and copied the precompiled mplayer, mencoder etc binaries to my home dir.

i configured PMS.conf to point to this precompiled binaries and all is working fine.

what USE flags do i have to use to compile the binaries on gentoo the right way?

thanks in advance.

elemay
elemay

Re: bad sound on some movies - gentoo

Postby happy.neko » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:42 pm

elemay wrote:i installed ubuntu in a vm installed happy-neko ps3mediaserver and copied the precompiled mplayer, mencoder etc binaries to my home dir.
i configured PMS.conf to point to this precompiled binaries and all is working fine.

or you can grab precompiled binarieas archive from this topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14605

elemay wrote:what USE flags do i have to use to compile the binaries on gentoo the right way?

I don't know about USE flags and generally suggest against depending on system-provided packages/patches/sources to avoid countless problems (on example is in the OP).
You can find scripts I use to compile mencoder/ffmpeg here https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... .0/contrib
happy.neko
Project Member

Return to Linux/Unix Support