Precompiled binary tools (mencoder, ffmpeg, etc) for Linux

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Precompiled binary tools (mencoder, ffmpeg, etc) for Linux

Postby happy.neko » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:39 pm

If you are Ubuntu of Debian user you are in luck. Just install PS3 Media Server with this package and you have everything you need automatically. Enjoy your media streaming!

If you have different Linux distribution you need to install required tools manually.

1. MediInfo library
You need libmediainfo installed for PS3MS to function properly. Grab it here:

Download and install in order these packages: 1. libzen 2. libmediainfo 3. CLI. Then restart PS3 Media Server. Upon startup you should see in Trace tab something like "Loaded MediaInfoLib - VERSION":

libmediainfo.png
PS3 Media Server with libmediainfo loaded
libmediainfo.png (31.71 KiB) Viewed 15312 times

If you run PS3MS on headless server search for this string in debug.log.

2. mencoder, ffmpeg and other transcoding tools
Half of the time PS3 Media Server errors are due to old versions of mencoder, ffmpeg etc your system is using. PS3 Media Server needs specific pre-patched and tested builds of these tools (especially mencoder) to work correctly! Official Ubuntu/Debian PS3MS package includes them, for any other Linux version you need to install tools manually.

Download precompiled tools archive from this folder. Choose i386 archive for 32-bit OS and amd64 for 64-bit OS. *_1204_* tools are build with 12.04 ubuntu. Try them first, if unsuccessful download *_1110_* archive.

Now unpack downloaded archive and move tools to /opt/ps3mstools. Example for 64-bit tools:
Code: Select all
tar jxf linux_amd64_1204_sb22.tar.bz2
sudo mv ./linux_amd64_1204_sb22/ /opt/ps3mstools/

Go to /opt/ps3mstools and run each tool from terminal:
cd /opt/ps3mstools
./mencoder
./mplayer
./ffmpeg
./dcraw
./tsMuxeR

Every program should exit gracefully with meaningful error message. You should not see any segfault crashes etc. If you experience problems with tsMuxeR on 64-bit system see step 2(b).

Now add these lines to PMS.conf (usually ~/.config/PMS/PMS.conf or ~/.config/ps3mediaserver/PMS.conf):
mencoder_path = /opt/ps3mstools/mencoder
ffmpeg_path = /opt/ps3mstools/ffmpeg
mplayer_path = /opt/ps3mstools/mplayer
tsmuxer_path = /opt/ps3mstools/tsMuxeR
dcraw_path = /opt/ps3mstools/linux/dcraw

and then restart PS3 Media Server. Now you shouldn't see any errors related to mencoder/ffmpeg on Trace tab (debug.log).

2(b). tsMuxeR on 64bit systems
tsMuxeR is 32bit binary. You need some form of 32-bit library compatibility layer to run it on 64bit OS. Most distributions provide it out of the box, if not search for something like ia32-libs package. <We need more distribution-specific instructions here!>

3. FLAC (optional)
For FLAC files streaming you'll need flac tool installed. Most distribution provides it by default, just install with package manager: sudo apt-get install flac for Debian/Ubuntu, sudo yum install flac for CentOS/RHEL etc.

Now you should have all dependencies for PS3 Media Server installed.
happy.neko
Project Member

Re: Precompiled binary tools (mencoder, ffmpeg, etc) for Lin

Postby DikChowAy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:03 pm

What about new builds from mplayer (mencoder)? SubJunk has reached version SB41.
DikChowAy

Postby DikChowAy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 am

I try to compile the mplayer from the SB SVN source. The make starts but fail after some time. Can you give the packages i need and the configure parameters for compiling a spiron mplayer?
DikChowAy

Postby happy.neko » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm

You can build "official" ps3ms linux binaries (mencoder etc) with build scripts in contrib dir. Also there is new script for ffmpeg compiling in contrib/ffmpeg but right now it is used only for mac and win builds.
I can't help you with other builds. Also it is not clear what advantages SubJunk's mencoder builds have linux wise if any.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby ivangogol » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi,

I have installed PS3 Media Server under Kubuntu 12.04 following the instructions on this topic. The servers starts OK, but I have a problem with scanning the shared folders. My video folder is on a NAS, and I don't seem to be able to access that folder when I click on the green cross under the Shared Folders tab to add a media folder. Can someone supply some help? Thanks very much.

Ivan
ivangogol

Postby rayfield3 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:37 pm

been using the Trusty beta and very pleased with it EXCEPT there is as yet no ffmpeg package, so I am unable to install PMS. the accounts for the reasons why are so confusing to me that I wonder if there is any way to install without ffmpeg support? I suppose I could compile it myself but I am not really that adept -- though that is preferable to installing someone's third-party package.

any Trusty users dealt successfully with this issue?
rayfield3

Postby rayfield3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 am

saw this on webupd http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/10-thing ... buntu.html

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

voila
rayfield3

Return to Linux/Unix Support