Difference in fonts in Linux or Windows

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Difference in fonts in Linux or Windows

Postby devnull22 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Hello all!

I've been running ps3 media server for a while now, previously under a Windows server. I've migrated that machine to a Linux server now, mainly to run mail services and VMs at home. I've been able to set-up ps3 media server correctly to run as a service under ubuntu 10.04, but noticed one difference with the windows version.

I've got a few anime series, and some more I've started to follow, that use built-in fonts ( ssa/ass fonts I believe by googling it? ) show up differently under Linux and Windows. In windows, all is as it should be, whereas under Linux, the fonts are only white, and no amount of tinkering lets me show them as they show in a media player or under PMS in Windows.

I'm a good linux server admin, but when it comes to desktop, I'm a little lost, so I was wondering if I might be missing some packages, that affect the display of the fonts? Or is it a java thing? Ubuntu 10.04 runs the iced tead jvm, but I also installed oracle java7 and used that to try, with no discernable differences. I'm hoping someone might know what the difference is, and how to fix/change it so it's the same in Linux, as my current (ugly) workaround, is run a windows 7 vm that runs psm through a network share pointing to the linux server's main ip ;-)

Thanks in advance!
devnull22

Re: Difference in fonts in Linux or Windows

Postby happy.neko » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 pm

happy.neko
Project Member

Postby devnull22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm

I did try that on the main server when a search found that out, but it didn't seem to change how fonts looked. Gonna follow the guide on a clean install to make sure, and take screencaps to show what I mean if it doesn't!

Thanks for the guide, and help!
devnull22

Postby devnull22 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 am

Well, good news! I wasn;t able to make it work on the 10.04 host, but a 12.04 VM install made me fidget with settings till I got it to work! I'm a bit of a ps3 media server newb, and having russian as the first language in available subs made it so no subs showed at all, a quick change to eng made it work and the package delivers the same experience as windows (though faster browsing through a SMB share ;)

Thanks for the great package and simple install experience!
devnull22

Return to Linux/Unix Support