Easy setup guide for Ubuntu / Debian (DEB packages and repo)

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Easy setup guide for Ubuntu / Debian (DEB packages and r

Postby codycook » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:58 pm

A follow up from my previous post. After a few days worth of trying to get packages like this to install.

I followed these instructions, and it installed pms 1.50. I then proceeded to compile the latest snapshot (1.72) from https://github.com/ps3mediaserver/ps3me ... r/BUILD.md -- after compiling, I replaced the 1.50 files with 1.72. Everything is working great.

Notable directories:
/etc/pms-linux
/usr/share/pms-linux
~/.config/PMS/

Debian Wheezy
codycook

Postby IceStar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Hey, sup guys

Any tips when the repo will be updated to ubuntu 12.10?
Still on 1.71 version.
IceStar

Postby reaper829 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

I just wanted to say thanks Neko!

I was running Ubuntu 11.x with PMS 1.50. I then upgraded to Ubuntu 12 with PMS 1.72.0, manual install.

After the upgrades, I could no longer enable "Keep DTS track" without the movie failing to play (some PMS log error about Input Stream). I installed PMS 10.72.0 on a Windows box and it worked fine, so I knew the issue was with my Ubuntu install. I tried just about everything I could think of.

As a last resort, I reinstall PMS using your package, and it worked! Thank you for saving me hours unnecessary server rebuilding! Your work is appreciated.
reaper829

Postby jfarthing84 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Hello,

First of all - thanks for packaging this up for us!

However, I have a problem since the most recent update. Previously, all my files would play fine. Since the most recent update, any files that have special characters will not play and instead throw an HTTP error 500. What happened?
jfarthing84

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 pm

jfarthing84 wrote:Since the most recent update, any files that have special characters will not play and instead throw an HTTP error 500. What happened?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15824&p=75589#p75589
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby jfarthing84 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:24 pm

I see the release notes only mention the $ character. However, in one instance, I have a folder in which the title has an apostrophe in it and PMS refuses to display the contents of it at all.
jfarthing84

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:57 pm

jfarthing84 wrote:I have a folder in which the title has an apostrophe in it and PMS refuses to display the contents of it at all.

That's not the same issue: FAQ: How can I supply details to help diagnose my problem?
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby lam640 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 pm

root@U-NAS:~# sudo start ps3mediaserver
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart
it cannot work...
lam640

Postby jtag » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 am

Will this package work with NetGear ReadyNas Ultra 2 Debian 4.0?

cat /etc/debian_version

Thank you
jtag

Postby marra » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:28 am

Hi I just tried to install PSM on my headless Debian Squeeze server but I've had no luck

start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

but when I go to uninstall it, it says I need to reinstall it first but when I try to do that I get the above message im a bit of a newb when it comes to linux but I have been picking it up nicely can anyone tell me how to remove it until I can find a way to get it working otherwise I'm going to have to reinstall and I really dont want to do that as I have just got it right, thanks any help is appreciated.

Ive just noticed when i try to install anything now I get

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package ps3mediaserver needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

this cant be good now I really need help lol.

Edit: I can use apt-get again now after using the below

sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq ps3mediaserver

So i think Ive removed it but I would really like to get PSM installed is it not possible with squeeze at the minute I loved PSM on windows I'm currently using mediatomb but I need to convert all my .mkv to .mp4 before I can use them.
marra

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support