Installing PMS on NAS (QNAP TS-439)

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Installing PMS on NAS (QNAP TS-439)

Postby ruben76 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:41 pm

Hallo every body.
I'll plan to buy a QNAP 439 pro (http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=110).
The question is: With a Intel Processor 1,6 and 1Gb of ram, in linux, it's possible to use this powerful NAS as PS3 media server?
What is the limit of this configuration?
I've red that qnap support the QPKG. It's possible to made this kind of packet with PS3 media server??
Thks.

Ruben (Italy, sorry for my english)
ruben76

Re: Installing PMS on NAS (QNAP TS-439)

Postby Jagged » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm not too familiar with NAS gear, but these specs seem pretty respectable. It would seem that the Intel Processor it uses is the Atom 1.6ghz. The good thing about that is that you would be able to run tsMuxeR. Honestly, I think you'd be able to use most of the functionality of PMS, as long as you don't have to transcode 1080p video (720p would be questionable, too I think). However, assuming the video is compatible with tsMuxeR, it shouldn't have any problem streaming 720p/1080p.

I guess the real question would be whether you can get mencoder/ffmpeg/java 1.6 installed on it.
Jagged

Re: Installing PMS on NAS (QNAP TS-439)

Postby ruben76 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi Jagged, thanks for the answer.
I've just installed the PMS on TS439, and work fine.
I've install IPKG, and build mencoder, ffmpeg ad java, and, after little bit change in PMS configuration i can stream the HD video.
The only problem it's the MKV format: Many files have a lot of problem, and the streaming don't work well. I've see that if the AVC stream it's undet 15 Mbit/s every thing it's ok, over that limit the stream hang or go step by step.
I'm not sure that the limit of CPU and ram are very important. I think the problem it's the network. I've a GBit network, with a very good switch [HP procurve 1800] but, also with the file transfert, I can't encrease the speed of file transfert more than 15MB/s.
But, the tranfert speed of 15MB/s are 120Mbit/s why the PS3 transfert speed it's a bottle-neck?
Another thing ... it's possible to create a ipk packet for PMS? Now it's very an hard job!
Thanks

Ruben
ruben76

Return to Linux/Unix Support