Linux version of PMS with statically linked ffmpeg/mencoder

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Linux version of PMS with statically linked ffmpeg/mencoder

Postby happy.neko » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Due to lack of feedback on issues tracker I dare to post my script here:
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... il?id=1181

Basically it is script to compile Linux version of PS3 Media Server with statically linked mencoder and ffmpeg. I think it will be beneficial for community to distribute PS3MS bundled with right tools instead of relying on distribution specific packages (often outdated) with different bugs and limitations. Win and Mac versions already do this.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
happy.neko
Project Member

Re: Linux version of PMS with statically linked ffmpeg/menco

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:37 pm

If you're volunteering to compile and maintain statically-linked builds of MPlayer, MEncoder and ffmpeg, then, yes, we'd love to include them!
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:31 pm

happy.neko wrote:Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Aaah, I notice we never got back to you. :oops:

The devs did discuss your script and we'd like to adopt it. However, someone (who, me? ;-)) thought it would be wiser to merge the OS X and Linux script to one script that caters both flavors. Less maintenance is better. So I worked a bit on it for a couple of days, and then I went on a holiday for a month. :mrgreen:

Haven't picked up where I left off since. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for your efforts!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:32 am

chocolateboy and Raptor399 thanks for update. I think first of all we should check if compiled binaries are indeed functional.

Latest mplayer refuses to link against libmath (-lm) on external libraries but after hours of nightmares I managed to write dirty ./configure patch to make things work. On the bright side we now have Linux build of mencoder (r34118) with working fontconfig and SSA formating on par with Mac OS build. Actually it is the first time I ever see SSA subtitles from linux ps3ms. Though "Use ASS default style" GUI checkbox seems to have no effect on subtitles font style.

If anyone want to test please download pms-generic-linux-unix-1.40.0.tgz created with the script. All tools are placed in linux folder and should work out of the box without any dependencies. You should link or copy them to system PATH (usually /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin) for PS3MS to find. Updated version of script and patch attached below.
Attachments
build-pms-linux-0.9.2.tar.gz
(9.52 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by happy.neko on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:34 pm

happy.neko wrote:chocolateboy and Raptor399 thanks for update. I think first of all we should check if compiled binaries are indeed functional

True, there seem to be quite a few complaints about the latest release not playing .mkv's any more. That might be a problem with the r34118 mencoder, not sure yet.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 pm

After some testing I found that latest mencoder (at least Linux version) ignores "-ass-force-style" option. Covered in this patch http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... il?id=1235
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Out of curiosity, happy.neko... Is your mencoder truly statically linked?
I thought the OSX version was, but it turns out it isn't. And adding the flag "--enable-static" doesn't work either on OSX 10.7. :-(
Maybe you're more in luck on Linux.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm not 100% sure. It certainly works on my system without any ffmpeg/x264 libraries installed but may be it quietly links itself against something else. I hoped that someone will download it and report back results with other systems but bad luck. I guess I have to perform some testing with clean virtual box images.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:38 pm

happy.neko wrote:I hoped that someone will download it and report back results with other systems

I will if/when I get time to get it working, but there are issues with it at the moment on my system (Ubuntu 10.10; I've got all the build dependencies and I'm using fixed revisions).

Have you tried doing a completely clean build recently? For instance, the libpng download path has changed since a new version was released. It's now:

Code: Select all
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/libpng/libpng15/older-releases/1.5.4/libpng-1.5.4.tar.gz
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby happy.neko » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, libpng url should be already fixed in 0.9.2 version of the script from this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12110#p57416
And there is link to archive with already compiled binaries too.

And I have some good news from my tests:
Code: Select all
file ./mplayer
./mplayer: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped
file ./ffmpeg
./ffmpeg: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped
file ./mencoder
./mencoder: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped

Not so good with flac and dcraw, they seems to be dynamically linked. But they are less important and can be fixed later.

Right now I am trying to test binaries on centos 6 livecd.
happy.neko
Project Member

Next

Return to Linux/Unix Support