Direct connection pc ps3 with ethernet

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Direct connection pc ps3 with ethernet

Postby umbesca » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi, first sorry for my english I'm italian. Now go to the question. I've a wireless internet connection with a modem in house of my parents and then no have a modem router for use ps3 media server in the usual way. It's possible use the program (the best for me) connecting the pc and ps3 direct with a cable ethernet? If yes which the settings for ps3, media server and ubuntu 10.04 lucid. Thanks for response.
P.S. I want cable connection for view mkv film
umbesca

Re: Direct connection pc ps3 with ethernet

Postby arrrghhh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm

You could *try* a crossover cable (which is necessary when you have a computer-to-computer connection). Or, does your computer have more than one NIC? If it does, you could use your computer as a sort of router, where your computer assigns IP addresses with a DHCP server.

Hrm - if you're not using the primary NIC at all (no hardwired LAN, which seems the case for you) then perhaps you can just use that primary NIC like a router...? Worth a shot.
arrrghhh

Postby meskibob » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:26 pm

@umbesca
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=20#p34933
Check the bottom of the post.

@arrrghhh
Crossover cables are only necessary if both devices are not gigabit. The PS3 is, so a regular patch cable works fine.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby arrrghhh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 pm

meskibob wrote:@arrrghhh
Crossover cables are only necessary if both devices are not gigabit. The PS3 is, so a regular patch cable works fine.

Oh, sometimes my mind is in the 'old-school' network world. Thanks for the tip!
arrrghhh

Return to Linux/Unix Support