1.5 codec probles, and 1.7 slowness problems

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

1.5 codec probles, and 1.7 slowness problems

Postby frankhovin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Up until recently, I've been running PMS 1.5 successfully in Linux Mint 11. No problems - everything worked, and speed was great.

Then I had to reinstall my machine, and I installed Mint 13 - the latest Ubuntu - and things started working very poorly indeed:

1.5: Here, MPEG4 - and problably lost of other file types - don't work at all. Corrupted file or unrecognized on the PS3. I've installed ffmpeg from the latest ubuntu repositories, but no help. Not sure what else to try. It worked on my old installation, but not here, so I guess there are some libs I need to install. But I cannot figure out which ones.

1.7: Here, MPE4 files actually worked (since support has been added in PMS itself). However, the connectivity is so slow that fast-forwarding or rewinding when playing a 150mb movie file on the ps3 results in everything freezing, then after several seconds jumping forward/backwards one frame, and then resulting in a network error reported by the ps3. The playback doesn't stop though, but it's so slow as to be completely useless.

So - I need to either get 1.5 to work with MPEG4 files, and all other relevant formats. OR I need to find out what wrong with the transfer speed in 1.7. I noticed it reporting a speed of 85MB/s when starting, which I didn't think was that slow. At least fast enough for playback, but maybe that's why fast-forward or rewind doesn't use, and hence the network error?

Any hints/tips?
frankhovin

Re: 1.5 codec probles, and 1.7 slowness problems

Postby meskibob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby frankhovin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for the answer.

However, it says that when having the fw/rw problems, I should use the hopelessly slow and unpractival navigational menu? Come on - seriously?! I've allways used the normal buttons for rw/fw, and it works 100% perfect in 1.5. But it's unusable in 1.7. So, this is not a ps3 problem, but a fault with PMS. Seems a very strange answer, really. I take it I can just give up on 1.7, then, since it's not solved or even given a workaround for in the FAQ?

Then the only option I have is to try and get 1.5 to work with all relevant file types. Anyone got any good guides?
frankhovin

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 pm

frankhovin wrote:However, it says that when having the fw/rw problems, I should use the hopelessly slow and unpractival navigational menu?

You don't have to do anything. If you want help, you're welcome to follow the FAQ which clearly explains the issue (if it worked before, videos were being streamed, not transcoded/remuxed) and provides a solution.

Thread locked.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to Linux/Unix Support