PS3 Firmware v3.56

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PS3 Firmware v3.56

Postby kanahpoo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Apparently Sony has implemented a 'rootkit' in the latest PS3 firmware v3.56.

"Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies."

Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?44400

So I suppose this can also be implemented to verify which files are/were streamed?
kanahpoo

Re: PS3 Firmware v3.56

Postby Coltaine79 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:15 am

Wow, glad I checked this forum before I upgraded my PS3's firmware!

I was thinking to myself "hmm, I didn't hear anything bad about 3.55 or 3.56 recently - not like 3.50's GoTo issue - so maybe I'll try it out".

Looks like my PS3 may be stuck at 3.50 forever!
Coltaine79

Postby devildog93 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:11 am

Well, I have been using it since it came out, and nothing has magically stopped working as of yet. All my files seem to work/stream/transcode to the PS3 fine.

But I guess by the sounds of it, this could be a problem in the future.
devildog93

Postby mazey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:28 am

This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew.

this is why it would exist, system files and homebrew... nothing else. what u stream has nothing to do with them infact it would be a invasion on privacy.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby devildog93 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:43 am

mazey wrote:This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew.

this is why it would exist, system files and homebrew... nothing else. what u stream has nothing to do with them infact it would be a invasion on privacy.

That doesn't mean a whole lot these days.
devildog93

Postby WorldOfHurt » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:03 pm

While I think Sony will use all means at their disposal to prevent people running software on the PS3 that could harm their game and download sales, I don't think there's any chance of them ever monitoring streaming.

Why? Because it would be a serious invasion of privacy (something the EU takes extraordinarily seriously these days), and because it would be a lot of effort to no useful purpose - they would gain nothing from banning or prosecuting people streaming illegally except serious customer resentment and a major sales backlash.

They want to prevent homebrew to prevent game copying. They don't care about people streaming hookey copies of Harry Potter.
WorldOfHurt

Postby taconaut » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 am

WorldOfHurt wrote:While I think Sony will use all means at their disposal to prevent people running software on the PS3 that could harm their game and download sales, I don't think there's any chance of them ever monitoring streaming.

Why? Because it would be a serious invasion of privacy (something the EU takes extraordinarily seriously these days), and because it would be a lot of effort to no useful purpose - they would gain nothing from banning or prosecuting people streaming illegally except serious customer resentment and a major sales backlash.

They want to prevent homebrew to prevent game copying. They don't care about people streaming hookey copies of Harry Potter.

Agreed. Additionally I'd be curious to know on what they would want to block a stream. It's name? (can be changed), The first x bytes of a stream? (would give a huge blacklist)
If you always wanted to have your most recent videos at the top of the folder in the ps3 or wished you could group all videos with the same genre in one folder, have a look at pms-mlx
taconaut
Project Member

Postby Coltaine79 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:06 pm

WorldOfHurt wrote:They want to prevent homebrew to prevent game copying. They don't care about people streaming hookey copies of Harry Potter.

What about the whole Cinavia debacle? Wasn't that an attempt by them to stop people streaming hookey copies of Harry Potter (sorta... once HP comes out on Blu-ray, at least)?
Coltaine79

Postby WorldOfHurt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Coltaine79 wrote:
WorldOfHurt wrote:They want to prevent homebrew to prevent game copying. They don't care about people streaming hookey copies of Harry Potter.

What about the whole Cinavia debacle? Wasn't that an attempt by them to stop people streaming hookey copies of Harry Potter (sorta... once HP comes out on Blu-ray, at least)?

Yes, Cinavia is a copy-protection mechanism and yes, it can prevent streaming.

But it's a passive protection mechanism mandated by the licence for AACS playback devices. That's not the same as actively scanning your device and there is certainly no suggestion of Cinavia devices "reporting" you or "banning" you like some have suggested with the rootkit stories.
WorldOfHurt

Return to General Discussion