PS3 > Airport Express

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PS3 > Airport Express

Postby danny363 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:08 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first post ;)

Can someone please help! I am currently streaming from my Sony vaio and Netgear wireless N router to the Ps3. As the ps3 is g/b wireless would it make a big difference to purchase a Airport express N?

Am i right in thinking that if i connected to ps3 via ethernet this would bypass the ps3 wireless? Also would the settings in the ps3 be set to wired as it is being fooled into thinking it's wired when actually it's the airport express thats wireless or do i keep ps3 settings on wireless?

Sorry if this sounds stupid :oops:
danny363

Re: PS3 > Airport Express

Postby danny363 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:00 pm

ANYONE? :D
danny363

Postby meskibob » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Average sustained N throughput is around 50mbps; G usually gets 15mbps. You can be the judge of whether or not that's worth it ;)
I believe you're going to be using the Airport Express as a bridge, so the PS3 is going to be wired to the Express, so you'd need to change the PS3 network settings to use the wired connection. I'm not sure what or if you're going to need to customize for MTU/Duplex/etc in the PS3 settings, but keep it in mind if things don't seem to be working.
This thread talks about using an Express as a bridge with the PS3: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=413287
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby danny363 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:01 am

meskibob wrote:Average sustained N throughput is around 50mbps; G usually gets 15mbps. You can be the judge of whether or not that's worth it ;)
I believe you're going to be using the Airport Express as a bridge, so the PS3 is going to be wired to the Express, so you'd need to change the PS3 network settings to use the wired connection. I'm not sure what or if you're going to need to customize for MTU/Duplex/etc in the PS3 settings, but keep it in mind if things don't seem to be working.
This thread talks about using an Express as a bridge with the PS3: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=413287

Thanks very much Meskibob. That was just the answer i was looking for. :D
danny363

Return to General Discussion