Weirdness with DVD iso's

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Weirdness with DVD iso's

Postby Canuckle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 pm

I'll keep this simple.

I rip'd dvds to the video_ts folder. PS3MS sees the folder, that's about it.

Put them back into ISOs. PS3MS sees the iso, plays the iso, BUT...after a few seconds, jumps ahead (not sure if it's actual chapter or not).

Turn the video_ts folder into an MKV, same thing. However, other MKVs that I've made/downloaded...no problems.

Any ideas?? I'll try and see if it does it when I rip yet another dvd of mine direct to MKV.
Canuckle

Re: Weirdness with DVD iso's

Postby devildog93 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:41 am

lower your buffer value
devildog93

Postby Canuckle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 pm

Yeah...that was it. And I never used the transcode folder before.

So now everything is MKV, buffer value lowered, and voila...everything works great!
Canuckle

Postby devildog93 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Canuckle wrote:Yeah...that was it. And I never used the transcode folder before.

So now everything is MKV, buffer value lowered, and voila...everything works great!

Cool. I think the default MB value for the buffer should be changed to 300 MB. Seems to hit alot of people, myself included. I just always lower mine to 360 MB or less....or you can adjust your xmx value for java heap in you PMS.bat file, then run the program from that batch file instead of the .exe file.
devildog93

Postby kalnak » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

About lowering buffer value? Why should I do that? I've had it for 600 since 3 years now and never a problem while on cable. The other day I updated both ps3 with latest firmware and my router Dlink DIR-655 and now it starts to lag and jump while watching dvd iso's. Normal divx files goes just fine. Earlier I've also managed to watch 1080p movies without any problems as well.

I guess it has to be the new firmware on my router?
kalnak

Postby devildog93 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:18 pm

kalnak wrote:About lowering buffer value? Why should I do that?

If you are having memory dump issues (check your Traces tab), then lowering the value of the buffer keeps PMS's required overhead within the Java heap's value. Another option is to raise your Java heap MB value, then open PMS from the .bat file.

kalnak wrote: I've had it for 600 since 3 years now and never a problem while on cable.

Cable, DSL makes no difference unless you are talking about web streaming. Otherwise, PMS functions within the LAN and is not restricted by internet WAN speeds.

kalnak wrote: The other day I updated both ps3 with latest firmware and my router Dlink DIR-655 and now it starts to lag and jump while watching dvd iso's.

I have the most recent PS3 FW update, and have not experienced anything that I can definitively blame on it. As far as your router firmware.....not too sure about that.
I run the same router.....love it BTW....but where did you get the new FW from? Curious, and would like to take a look at any info you have on it.
devildog93

Postby kalnak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 pm

I lowered it to 300 from 600 and my dvd iso problems disapeared so that solved my problem. Still not sure why it started to be a problem.

The DIR-655 router is awesome. Have 100/100mbit connection at home and can really max that without any router problems. The newest firmware is 1.31EU and my hardware version is "A3" if that's any help. Just got a mail a few days ago about a new firmware so I updated. Haven't really checked the changelog for it.

I'm not talking about cable as connection. Meant that my whole home network is ethernet wired and not wireless so I didnt really understand why I had to lower the transcode buffer. Was if it couldn't buffer enough or something.
kalnak

Return to General Discussion