Purchase CoreAVC? benefits?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Purchase CoreAVC? benefits?

Postby DJPlayer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:02 pm

decently strong PC, Dual Core overclocked e8400, 6bg ram, Nvidia 8600gt.

I do stream HD movies but right now I don't own CoreAVC. How will this benefit me. I believe my processor hits maybe 65% capacity when streaming a 1080p movie. Only issue that ever hinders me is the fact that I have a FIOS internet and TV. So I'm forced to use a crappy actiontec MOCA w/ horrid NAT tables. I use it for connectivity only and broadcast through a much nicer Belkin, but still those NAT tables are there..
DJPlayer

Re: Purchase CoreAVC? benefits?

Postby meskibob » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 pm

The only real benefit is the CPU usage. If you're fine with the MEncoder CPU usage, there's no real reason to switch. Earlier on there was more benefit when the mencoder-mt builds were having issues.

As for FIOS, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r176791 ... ork-bridge seems to indicate that the NAT tables aren't applied when it's properly converted into a bridge...
Then again, I don't have FIOS, so I haven't run through that (although the FIOS guy did try to tell me that their crappy router could be fully slaved - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8373#p39274)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Discussion