Skipping movies and audio question!

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Skipping movies and audio question!

Postby rafaelbarriola » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 am

Hello everyone,

I love the ps3 media server, awesome piece of software, I just have a couple questions about it.

1 - Some of my mkv files will skip forward, and I mean like 5 min skipping ahead, it happens to some movies and some work fine, I'm running over the network (not wireless) and the quality is great, changing the settings doesn't help at all, any guesses of what might be happening?

2 - Is there a way to just send audio pass through instead of re encode?

Thanks!
Rafael
rafaelbarriola

Re: Skipping movies and audio question!

Postby devildog93 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 am

1) Probably having Fatal Memory Errors. Check your Traces tab for that, and "not enough memory to allocate xxxMB using half of it"

If you see this, lower your buffer value or increase your Java heap settings.......
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=90#p38969

2) If you mean DTS, you need an amp/receiver capable of Optical input or HDMI input.

For optical cable and DTS, enable "keep DTS audio in stream......"
For HDMI cable and DTS, enable "DTS/FLAC to LPCM remux........"

To ensure Dolby Digital is not touched, enable "remux when audio is AC3....."
devildog93

Postby rafaelbarriola » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:19 am

Hey Devildog93

Thanks for the help, I have one problem still, I changed the heap setting in the bat file, but when I run it, it says that it cant run because it cant find the file, I tried to set up the path manually but it didn't work, is there a another way?

And since I'm already asking, stupid question, why some of my movies appear inside the transcode folder, which I have no clue for what its for, Also the tsmuxer thingy is off, do I have to install anything extra? same for AVISYNTH/FFMPEG
rafaelbarriola

Postby devildog93 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 am

The transcode folder is basically like a virtual folder where you can pick and choose various playback options from specific engines.

If you don't need subs often, or the MKVs you watch have audio tracks in your native language, then I advise using tsMuxer engine for MKV files. Much easier on your CPU and network bandwidth. You can enable tsMuxer by selecting it(on the GUI I mean), then clicking the plug symbol, this will activate the engine.
Then you can either set tsMuxer as your default engine by moving it to the top of the list, manually choose tsMuxer options from the #transcode# folder, or you can leave MEncoder at the top and enable "switch to tsMuxer if the video is PS3 compatible......." on the MEncoder settings tab.

AviSynth based engines require AviSynth to be installed in your PC. Version 2.5.7 is reported to be least buggy.

As far as you .bat file, did you properly create the desktop shortcut? Not quite sure what's going on there.
Last edited by devildog93 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devildog93

Postby rafaelbarriola » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks a lot for all the info Devildog93, the heap setting worked great, all I had to do is add a line to the bat file setting the path to the java folder so it could run the javaw.exe, about the tsmuxer good to know, I'll experiment with that.

Thanks man!
rafaelbarriola

Postby devildog93 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 pm

No problemo!

The more you can use tsMuxer, the better, I find. Also allows you to do stuff on your PC at the same time if need be. It doesn't max your CPU out OR your network. Use it when you can.

And good work on the .bat file. You got that one yourself. I usually just edit the Xmx value to desired amount, then "send to desktop" (create shortcut), seems to work for me.

On the .bat file, if you delete the entry "pause", you won't have to "hit any key to continue" .

This allows you to add a shortcut to the .bat file in your startup folder, and you don't have to "hit any key....." to have PMS load when you log in.
devildog93

Return to General Discussion