How powerful processor do I need for 1080p?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: How powerful processor do I need for 1080p?

Postby Konceptz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:02 am

not much, any core 2 quad or equivalent with 4gb of ram ddr2 or 3 is fine. I pull 1080p from a laptop 2.53ghz dual core, 4GB DDR2 and win7 ultimate 64bit
Konceptz

Postby stofferm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 pm

squadjot wrote:My Challenge was that my Sony Bravia W5500 has a pretty slow LAN interface.. 44mb/s.. so.. i have to keep the bitrate down, and as you know, the more you try to squeeze the movie, the more CPU it takes.
I tested with a 720p bluray rip of the movie "300", i started it 58 minutes into the movie.. the scene with the many arrows falling from the sky is a pretty good test, imo.
Start with stutters for a sec..but after that, not one single jitter..Note, the atom JUST makes it.. with above test, it takes about 2-3 minutes before i can even see blue @ transcoding buffer-bar..but still it works without hickups..
this is with subtitles (wich takes up even more CPU as i understand/experience it)

My TV shouldn't have any problems at all with that, but I havent unleashed its potential yet.

You state that the D525 just barely makes it, but how does it handle simple streaming/muxing? I trust that is not a problem (in my post i hinted a "pre-transcode" scenario, simply to skip the problems with limited cpu - at the cost of HDD space).
stofferm

Postby squadjot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:44 am

[/quote]
My TV shouldn't have any problems at all with that, but I havent unleashed its potential yet.
You state that the D525 just barely makes it, but how does it handle simple streaming/muxing? I trust that is not a problem (in my post i hinted a "pre-transcode" scenario, simply to skip the problems with limited cpu - at the cost of HDD space).[/quote]

Well, i imagine if it can transcode 720p then sure it can stream/mux it!.. I think a Atom 330 or even lower could do that as well..

EDIT: By the way, i have not yet found one single video that my TV could stream directly.. it _all_ has to be transcoded/remuxed!..with the PS3 i can do it with quite a few...
squadjot

Previous

Return to General Discussion