Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Any alternatives to PS3 mediaserver?

Postby devildog93 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:53 pm

I gave the WildMedia Server trial a go.
Definitely the closest to PMS, and has a few features I REALLY like.
Away from home, internet serving, very cool.
Easy to understand GUI.

But having to pay upwards of 90USD to serve 5 devices just lost me. The more devices, the more you pay. Kinda lame. How about a flat fee for a server that serves to what ever you want, to any of your devices you have or might have in the future. Having to pay, to register my devices with an outside destination. BOO.
devildog93

Postby AlGrenadine » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:59 pm

did you test it against mkv, hd, subs etc... ? ;)
AlGrenadine

Postby devildog93 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:15 pm

AlGrenadine wrote:did you test it against mkv, hd, subs etc... ? ;)

It worked with MKV, not subs though.....pain in butt to figure out. Worked fine remuxxing MKV though. 15 day trial is up and I do not want to pay for it, so I can experiment with it.

My point is that, IMHO, it is not worth the money they want for it. I can do pretty much the same with PMS for free (minus the internet "away from your PC" streaming). And subs work, pretty much out the box.

I would say it is the best "paid" server I've seen, so far.
PMS is far and away the best FREE server, and better than any other, regardles of cost, that I have found, and tried.....which in my books, takes it FTW.
devildog93

Postby maugus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:54 am

maugus

Postby AlGrenadine » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:56 am

maugus wrote:http://www.majesticdotapp.com/beta.php

thanks but Mac only :(
AlGrenadine

Postby @rno » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:40 pm

hmm, wildmedia is not the friendly prog iam looking for. I use a different directory's in PMS. Movies for the parents (C:/ etc) en movies fore the kids (c:/ etc). In in wildmedia its a hell of a job.. :-( Ik have no trouble at all too pay. But it must be worth the money.
@rno

Postby lightglitch » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:11 pm

In-house alternative viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7844
lightglitch a.k.a Mário Franco
lightglitch
Project Member

Postby devildog93 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:16 am

lightglitch wrote:In-house alternative viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7844

I have slow directory population times with this patched version. I find, even though it has the patch to "kill processes", that it hangs more often than the official beta.

It does not address recent issues with MKV, such as no audio or "data corrupted". :cry:

It did, however, finally allow my iTunes folder to display :) (not hanging up on the Raws Thumbnailer engine registration), BUT unfortunately the iTunes directory would not populate. :?

I greatly appreciate the effort, and admire you for doing this, but it just was not feasible for me to replace the beta I have installed that works great.

EDIT: After messing around with Wild Media Server, I have found that it is WAAAAAAAAY too confusing of a program for even medium level users like myself. The forum is terrible. NOT because people don't help, but because of the language barrier. The developer does an EXCELLENT job of responding and helping users, but trying to decipher the written English is nearly a task in it's own.
I advise English speakers to think twice before purchasing Wild Media Server. Between how confusing the program is combined with the language translations, it is pretty difficult.
Don't get me wrong, WMS has a few features that would compliment PMS very well, but at the same time WMS lacks the "plug and play" functionality of PS3 Media Server. While PMS has its' issues, they are much easier to overcome, even the confusing rendering of subs.
devildog93

Postby maugus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Since ps3ms OSX version probably wont be supported anymore, one good substitute is isedora www.isedora.com
maugus

Postby Xmantium » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 pm

After using ps3ms for such a long time, I started using Serviio and have to say it's more stable and less buggy than ps3ms and has become my default server for my Bravia TV.
It fixes the directory display issues where it takes such a long time for PMS to show folders and files on my Bravia. It uses xbmc library style to search all your media through online databases to catalog your media, it's genius! For Linux user they provide much more support by providing a very cool web UI console.
The only drawback is it doesn't use MEncoder, ffmpeg is it's main transcoder engine. Streaming online videos is currently in beta stage.
PMS Running on QNAP TS-639 Pro Linux Server, 1.2 DualCore Intel, 12TB RAID5 HDD
Xmantium

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion