Solution to Cinavia

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Solution to Cinavia

Postby fableman » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:46 pm

From: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... ows_x86_64

Why does audio not play anymore since v4.1.0 (MP3, AC3, DTS audio tracks)?
The Matroska specifications know a feature called "header removal compression". This allows a muxer to keep a certain number of bytes that are identical for each frame in the track headers removing them from the individual frames. This reduces the size of the tracks significantly without altering the content as a demuxer can add the bytes found in the track headers to each frame during demuxing.

Starting with v4.1.0 mkvmerge uses header removal compression for a couple of track types by default. These include AC3, DTS and MP3 audio tracks as well as Dirac and MPEG-4 part 2 (aka. XviD/DivX) video tracks. The user muxing a file may disable it by explicitely selecting 'none' as the compression scheme for such a track.

If your player has difficulties playing such files then it is a bug in that player or in the demuxer but not in mkvmerge. This feature has been part of the Matroska specification since more than six years, and there's no excuse for refusing to add support for it.

The proper solution is to ask the vendor of your player to support this feature. A temporary solution is to re-mux such files turning off extra compression for all tracks.
fableman

Postby JimBoSS » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:16 am

lufkin wrote:there are people who have tried this method who have actually received the cinavia message on their screen, then done this method and it has gone away, i know cinavia is in the audio, maybe the chapters tells it where to check or something i dont know, but i dont see how people can get the cinavia message, then the message goes away after this trick, if it has nothing to do with cinavia lol

Ok reading this has got me thinking.

i reported that the losers was fixed but the original version i had was an AVi version which had no chapter track. that version came up with the Cinavia error on screen and muted the audio at the 20 minute mark.

i then got the MKV version which has DTS audio i didnt bother playing the file straight away i just remuxed it and then watched the whole movie without an error.
So... it is possible that the MKV version i downloaded somehow did not have the cinavia watermarking and the only problem people are facing is the MKV Compression thing which is easily fixed.

if thats the case then why was the crappy xvid version stuck with the cinavia watermarked audio and the high quality mkv version with DTS audio did not have this issue ?? unfortunately I can't go back and play the original MKV file because i deleted it after remuxing and i am not going to download it again to test it.

Jim
JimBoSS

Postby chocolateboy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

It's not going to be "solved" any time soon (on the PS3) for anyone with firmware >= 3.10. It's not the usual silly sticking plaster. Anyone claiming to have a long-term "solution" should a) take a look at the Cinavia patent, and b) patent their solution.

If you've ever used Shazam, then imagine that in reverse. Notice how Shazam isn't fazed by ambient noise, turntables speeding up and slowing down, or anything we think might confuse an algorithm. The PS3's Cinavia extractor is already, even in its first iteration, capable of detecting all camcordered bootlegs of its copy-protected content. The Cinavia patent is incredibly well-thought-out, and anything less than an incredibly well-thought-out solution, backed by years of research and development, is likely to fail. And more sophisticated watermarking schemes and extractors can be deployed for copy-protected resources in the future.

Note again: this applies to the PS3, which can be upgraded to deal with novel attacks and plug implementation holes. Things may be different for an offline Blu-Ray player. And things clearly are different for pretty much everything (for the time being) that isn't a post-mid-2010 BD player.

Brits on here may want to take a look here (and vote on the proposal). In the UK (and possibly the rest of the EU), even talking about working round this is illegal. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the DMCA, but the same may apply in the US.

TL;DR: No.
Last edited by chocolateboy on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby devildog93 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:19 am

I guess there is gonna be a rush on older blu-ray deivces. Just like guerilla warfare, sink back into the jungle and just step off their grid, let them find a solution to that. It's only recognized by newer devices.
Just everyone go out now and buy all the older blu-ray players you can get your hands on. Simple

What? Make every single person on the planet that has an older blu-ray go out and buy a new one, because it's the law to have your devices up to certain standard. Or even DVD's. Gimme a break.

Like gun control. Let's take it out on the generally decent law abiding public, the ones that don't need the control. Are all the gun toting thugs gonna magically get a conscience, and go hand in their straps.

Typical government, fu@#ing with us.

There is another solution I stumbled across. And it seems to work well with THE LOSERS.....but I ain't sayin sh#t in any public forum with regards to this topic anymore.
Time to go underground with our information.

AND to the dude that said he had a copy of "The Losers' that worked fine with DTS audio in an MKV file, WHY in the HELL would you delete it? :shock:

Time for you to walk the plank... :P

:twisted: Dog93
(AKA Captain Davy Jones)
devildog93

Postby MKUltra » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:56 am

I just watched The Losers with DTS in an MKV file - the movie was a p_o_s, but no Cinavia audio watermark like what I experienced in an .mp4 that is floating around.
Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM OS 10.7.2/Airport Extreme Basestation (Early 2009) Wireless N/PS3-Fatboy 40GB/1Gibps via Cat 6 LAN connection w/ Airport Extreme/PS3 connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-3808CI
MKUltra

Postby JimBoSS » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:26 pm

devildog93 wrote:AND to the dude that said he had a copy of "The Losers' that worked fine with DTS audio in an MKV file, WHY in the HELL would you delete it? :shock:

Time for you to walk the plank... :P

:twisted: Dog93
(AKA Captain Davy Jones)

If you read the post carefully you will find that I said I deleted the original download but kept the Remuxed version.
JimBoSS

Postby fastjohn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 pm

this doesn't help. what happens if you get a mkv file without chapters or subtitles :|
fastjohn

Postby Coltaine79 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:52 pm

I thought I read something somewhere that said *SOME* PS3 models are not affected. Is that right?

Or are ALL of the PS3 revisions affected (the fat one, the skinny one, the 80GB one, 120GB, 40GB, 160GB, etc.)?

Thanks.
Coltaine79

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm

chocolateboy wrote:It's not going to be "solved" any time soon (on the PS3) for anyone with firmware >= 3.10.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby Coltaine79 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 pm

chocolateboy wrote:
chocolateboy wrote:It's not going to be "solved" any time soon (on the PS3) for anyone with firmware >= 3.10.

I thought I had read that only units manufactured after a certain month in 2009 were affected (irrespective of firmware revision).
Coltaine79

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion